I'm officially a nerd again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm officially a nerd again

So in preparation for the arrival of my occulus rift, I have upgraded my graphics card to a 6GB Geforce GTX 1060 (jesus fuck it's huge)
    Obviously small potatoes to most of you, but I haven't actually done any proper PC messing around with in about 15 years and I have passed the first test.
    It didn't explode.

my 980 is about and inch longer

but yeah cards are big now, they are normally always at least 2 slots now and come to about the end of the motherboard or just after, it's why modern cases also turned the hard drives 90 degrees to make the extra space for the newer cards, I think it was my 8800 I had to physically cut a section out of the hard drive enclosure in the case I had at the time to fit the GPU, didn't help at the time the power connector was on the end of the card instead of on the opposite side of the card to the PCIe slot.

Comment

ya i hear ya on how big cards are nowadays.....back in 2010 bought a HD6850....was just under 9 inches....replaced it earlier this year with a RX480...12 inchs...had to get a new tower.

Comment

Ok, bel might think me foolish but I've taken the plunge on a Rift. I'm actually excited to see what it will be like. Most new game announcements don't make me feel this way.

Hopefully it will be good.

Comment

If you are even half as happy with it as I am, you should be ok with it!
          It took about six weeks for it to turn up (would have been four. Fuck you UPS), I would recommend that you set up a decent space to use it in, about two meter square should be fine.
          I basically moved the PC into it's own room, (the rest of the house has never stayed so organised for so long) and am still using the system a few times a week (mostly for Elite!)
          Robot Recall is awesome though.
          Did you get the touch as well (or even a second sensor?)

Comment

Yeah, Oculus have brought the price permanently to £399 for the touch and 2 sensor bundle. I'm looking forward to trying out elite, and I might get valkyrie warzone. Also interested in getting my films to work with Rift if I can.

Comment

got nothing to do with them having a wireless one about to come to market, that they are using "clever" marketing to try to stop people noticing this has been possible for a long time with the Gear VR and other phone software.

https://riftcat.com/vridge

much cheaper option if you are on android.

Comment

I’m not too worried about the price. My phone has screen damage and it would cost me a couple of hundred to fix. I have gear vr so it would be interesting to compare to Rift.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to Skyrim and Fallout VR (out in the next few months) which even though they don't have official rift support (something to do with some lawsuit or other) I'm pretty sure some enterprising spark is going to rig up a mod for.

Comment

http://moonlight-stream.com/

is an option for gear vr if you have a Nvidia card. it was fairly clean when I used it with my Note 7 before they took it off me, I've never felt the need to get a daydream headset for my Pixel XL.

Comment

I have it now and first impressions are very good. It seems more immersive than gear vr but still slightly pixellated and you do notice that you are wearing a headset if you feel like focusing on the headset. Might irk some people who have shelled out 400 quid but for me its worth it. All I need now is a dedicated vr room.

Also, I loved the tutorial

Comment

would still rather a dedicated cinema room, I'm only missing the high quality projector and an empty wall.

Comment

Ok just tried a virtual desktop app and it's a bit low res for films & virtual desktop but i'm still happy with it

Comment

Looks like VR companies are working on the low res:

http://www.pcgamer.com/vive-pro-announced/

Comment

No that's so the people who bought the first round go out and buy them again so they can say the sales are higher. Same as the screen is still low quality when there are functioning 4k smartphone screens. But if they jumped to 4k they would only sell 2 generations instead of 3 or 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X