Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This week, I have mostly been playing.........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This week, I have mostly been playing.........

Tropico 5.

How do you train troops and fight? I did the first 2 islands, when it came back to the first I was being attacked by revolutionary's and no idea how to fight them off.

Comment

You don't really train them, just build guard towers and army bases.
      When an uprising happens, or you get invaded, your units just spawn at the bases and move towards the invaders/revolutionaries. You cannot direct them or guide them in any way (other than clever and strategic positioning of military buildings).
      That said, a group of four closely located guard towers near the dockyard/s seems to handle most conflicts.

Comment

I see, so it is more a tower defence than an RTS. That is handy. Now I just have to figure out how to win elections lol. Honestly I have so many games on the go I am like a dog with 2 dicks and 5 trees to piss on. I am just not absorbing information.

Getting my ass kicked on Rome 2 and I don't know why cause I am outnumbering the enemy but my units just don't seem to damage the enemy but if I try to build up my towns to make better troops I just die of lack of food....

Comment

also if you are struggling with elections a big military could also kill you as the military even has an approval rating and they can cause an uprising and it's not fun when the majority of your military comes to kill you.

also the biggest problem with watching for uprisings and rebels is they can start from anywhere on the island so you need to make sure you have all your bases covered and have a good level of support around your mansion as if it falls your done.

Comment

Assetto Corsa, resubbed to iRacing, and using Steam's streaming service to play The Secret of Monkey Island on my MacBook in bed. Finally got my wheel to play nicely with Assetto Corsa, a bit depressing to look at my friends list on iRacing and see that the last time I played it was with Congo.

Comment

That reminds me of a story I read a few months ago where some teenager booted up an old console and it still had his late fathers ghost car runs so in a way he was still playing against him.

Comment

lol just googled Assetto Corsa, clicked some HD youtube of it with them claiming it is a next gen racing game, if that looks next gen to them they really do need their eyes tested, GT5/6 look better on the PS3, I would hate to see it in a side by side with the PS4/X1 driving games. (but even then polyphony have said it's unlikely GT7 on the PS4 will be as high detailed as driveclub)

​but then I suppose it's the same as project cars like to boast about the rain in their game, but in truth it looks shit, the camera effect has been done on the PS3 and making it as static droplets on a moving car just ruins any illusion of speed, they would of actually done better if instead of working on the droplets they just worked on the streams in the air flow, after all if I take my car out at even 30 miles an hour with it freshly polished so the water beads it will run up the bonnet and the beads will be gone before I get to the end of my road.

altho I think I'm just getting pissed off with firms trying to push driving games for having good graphics when they add in graphics features that they think look stylish and good but would never happen in reality taking away any sense of immersion when if they are trying to push it they should be trying for real world parallels, like if I drop fast into a corner I want to actually see the car lean into it, if I break fast I want to see the bonnet actually dip and the biggest annoyance for me, if I'm driving a rear wheel drive car and I go to fast round the corner I want to fucking over steer and not just understeer like nearly every games does having you drive off in a more or less straight line. (altho GT6 did solve that last one but over corrected a bit and some cars got a bit too tail happy)

Comment

Originally posted by Belimawr View Post
                  altho I think I'm just getting pissed off with firms trying to push driving games for having good graphics when they add in graphics features that they think look stylish and good but would never happen in reality taking away any sense of immersion when if they are trying to push it they should be trying for real world parallels, like if I drop fast into a corner I want to actually see the car lean into it, if I break fast I want to see the bonnet actually dip and the biggest annoyance for me, if I'm driving a rear wheel drive car and I go to fast round the corner I want to fucking over steer and not just understeer like nearly every games does having you drive off in a more or less straight line. (altho GT6 did solve that last one but over corrected a bit and some cars got a bit too tail happy)
                  Then you'll want to be trying Assetto Corsa or iRacing.

Comment

for me its been Kingdoms of Amalur...story/lore by R.A Salvatore...creature design by Todd MacFarlane.
                    im 91 hours in and barely half way through the content.(still have both dlc to do too)
                    its been like civ5 for me i sit down to play and next thing i know 5, 6, 8 hours have passed.

Comment

Elite Dangerous. Every chance I get, I play Elite Dangerous. I love Elite Dangerous. It's even better with a joystick.

Man I can wait until the commercial Occulus comes out.

I've even stopped playing XCOM to allow more time for Elite Dangerous- and I was halfway through the fishing village mission, with my best troops at that!

Comment

Originally posted by Spatula View Post
                        Elite Dangerous. Every chance I get, I play Elite Dangerous. I love Elite Dangerous. It's even better with a joystick.

Man I can wait until the commercial Occulus comes out.

I've even stopped playing XCOM to allow more time for Elite Dangerous- and I was halfway through the fishing village mission, with my best troops at that!
                        I'm currently playing both XCOM and Elite.

The problem I am having with. Elite though is that it all feels so aimless. I don't really now what to do to get "started". SO far I have just been flying around taking in the sites in so to speak. That frame shift stuff is incredible though. When you warp to another star system, it's like space orgasm Plus you can look around in your spaceship! I so need Oculus rift for this game for that alone. Being able to turn my in game head and pilot with stick would be incredible.

But ye, I don't know/can't work out what to do. Any tips?

Comment

I use a TrackIR in flying/racing sims and the Arma games and love it, might be something to look into as a stopgap until the Oculus rift consumer version comes out?

Comment

daniel- well the first thing is NOT to expect anything structured. This is a literal sandbox. not a GTA sandbox- a proper sandbox. the fun you create is your own.

few things tho- mining is bugged- or at least not finished yet. So only do that on an opportunistic level, dont do it to make cash as it'll make you want to kill your self as it stands.

Trading is good, but dull.

I've gone the bounty-hunting route to earn my first few million and i'm loving it. the sidewinder's atually not too bad a combat vessel and this isn't like Eve where the better ship wins. i've taken down far better ships in my little eagle simply because i was a better pilot than they were (but that also works in reverse...!).

I've found a nice little Nav Bouey to scan for wanted ships and i'm making my first few million there. Why do i want a few million?? To explore.

If you treat this game as an exercise in grinding and upgrading/levelling you'll burn out. Many pepople are just trying to get to an anaconda (currently the highest ship) asap and then burning out when they get there.

I've decided that i want to fly off into the darkness, into deep space and see what i can find. NOw you can make a reasonable amount of money from exploring (if you can make it back alive) so i'm saving up for the ship (cobra) and the equipment (detailed surface scanner/advanced scanners) to make this possible. The cobra will allow me to do mid-length hops into deep space- going out far into the black.

I'm then going to use any profits to save up for an ASP (the best current expoloration vessel) and head off in that. The asp can be made pretty much self sufficient- so you wouldn't need to return to civilized space unless in an emergency or to cash in. So that's my mid term goal. I' ve seen people find water worlds, neutron stars, binary black hole systems and one person claiming to have found an old relic (but no proof). so that's waht i plan to do.

When i get bored of that i've decided to try to wipe out one of the NPC companies. One of theire ships hit my by accident in a dogfight and ever since then they're always been hostile to me. So i'm going to start wiping out every ship of theirs i can find in an attempt to wipe out their company (which apparently is possible). Just for kicks.

So find something in the game that excites you and work towards that. Also- read the (elite) forums- they've got lots of invaluable guides and hints.

Comment

It does feel like EVE all over again in working out what to do. Except this time I'm in the cockpit. Think I will just copy your plan

Originally posted by Burglar View Post
                              I use a TrackIR in flying/racing sims and the Arma games and love it, might be something to look into as a stopgap until the Oculus rift consumer version comes out?
                              This interests me. But how much will it cost

Comment

Working...
                              X