Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, ok! Fine! I’ll try streaming.... geesh...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I both agree and disagree.
    Strategy games, at least the good ones, are massively more complex than they have ever been.
    Massively.
    Think back to the likes of Defender of the Crown, or Supremacy.
    The tactics involved there literally being "amass large number of troops, throw them at enemy"
    The main problem with strategy titles being that AI advances have not kept up with the complexity of the games they are now running on, which makes them seem much more backward.
    I'd even argue that FPS games are not that much easier, just much less frustrating.
    The use of regenerating shields/health and save points every ten seconds doesn't really make the game "easier", it just prevents you having to replay the same sections over and over (especially so if you luck your way through a particularly challenging section).
    And that's not forgetting that having been gaming for decades, what might be a new and "innovative" trap to catch younger/first time players we have probably seen umpteen times before.
    I don't really play many FPS games, but a new trend in strategy games is the "Ironman" mode, one autosave point, if you fuck up your game is screwed.
    Does such a thing exist in FPS games? And do the "games are too easy" crowd habitually use them?

Comment

The main thing with FPS games is the single player is dead and they have been massively slowed down by slowing movement and making it take longer to die.

But going back to strategy games look at the last C&C game, they took out base building and simplified it to the point it was pointless and it's the sad way most RTS games have gone, moved to giving a few units and took out the management side of the game.

Turn based may have got more complex but in truth not so much if you look at some of the old TBS games, but it is living in a bubble where it is very much a small market to begin with as it tends to be a much slower game that puts a lot of people off.

Comment

Whilst you could take singular examples to prove a point,like UFO: Enemy unknown, which was infinitely more complex than its modern remake, the general trend in strategy is that they are far more complex.
        Shogun: Total War --------Shogun II
        Civilisation -------------- Civilisation VI (Sure, six is a bit of a misfire, but it is unmistakably more complex)
        Paradox map games.

RPG's however, now THATS a genre that has been dumbed down...........

Comment

When is your next stream? I can bust you a prime sub.

Comment

Next stream is 10pm Thursday :-)
            cheers sweetie

Comment

"Sweetie"?
              Are we turning into fucking mumsnet now?

Comment

Nah he's just sexist, as that term is like the N word for women.

Comment

Maybe I’m just trying to be subversive.....

Comment

someone tried to complain in work I called her "pet" was quite comical when the lass at work said "he's called me a lot of things but has never used the word pet" to be honest if I want to be condescending I can find something a lot better than pet.

Comment

The other day, for the first time in the ten years I have worked there, we actually had more white people in the department than "people of colour".
                      I said we should ensure that we spend the day abusing our white privilege and oppressing him.
                      True story.
                      One day someone from human resources is going to walk past our department at the wrong moment and I am going to get into so much shit.

Comment

Yeah, but it’ll be funny. To watch I mean.

Comment

we have a new boss who is a woman so have to be careful what we say now as don't know if she will take it as well as the other lass.

Comment

is spats related to dr evil? bhave an extra viewer even if I am really watching the expanse.

Comment

Comment

Yup- got there in the end.
                                was a tense one, but fun :-)

what did you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                                X