Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May wins confidence vote

Brexiters want to run the vote again.
    But, of course, you can't just keep voting until you get the answer you want.

The whole thing is disappointing to both sides. I think the brexiteers bit off more than they could chew.

Comment

how easy is it for parliament to do a vote of no confidence?
      2/3 or a simple majority or what?

Comment

Apparently it's 15% of the leaders own party must write a letter of no confidence to trigger a vote:

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/no-c...e-theresa-may/

So 48 letters were needed

Comment

wow...thats like nothing.
          seems easy to get ousted if you piss off your party.

we call our version impeachment( it is also not just for the sitting president) and it is not an easy thing to do and even then it doesnt always have the desired results.

Comment

I think Impeachment is more about an official committing an offense (treason etc.). This is more that the party members have lost faith in the direction of Teresa May's strategies.

Comment

Yeh, this wasn't Parliament trying to oust May, this was specifically her own party, or more accurately, a small number of her own party, trying to replace her.
              Although apparently, according to Britain's leading Brexiter, having 60% of the vote go in your favour still means you lost.

Comment

to impeach mean to charge a high government official(prez, senator, federal judge, etc) with something wrong.
                it can be treason but in most cases it isnt.
                states do it far more often then the feds; states just had one august of 2018 and the feds you have to go back to 2010.

Comment

Aaaaaaannnnnnd the deal is dead.

Comment

...what happens next? I wouldn't bet against another GE, I'm not a fan of Corbyn though

Comment

OK, ignore me

Comment

No-body knows what happens next.
                        If parliament was working the way it should do, she should not have won last nights vote of confidence, every MP who voted against the Withdrawal bill, and then voted confidence in the government (the government they literally just denounced for being shit) is an utter hypocrite who has no place as an MP.
                        It's a disgrace, and our pathetic media are more interested in spinning whatever vision of Brexit they want their idiot subscriber base to swallow wholesale than to hold the whole rotten edifice to account.
                        As for Corbyn, I see a lot of "I'm never voting for labour" posts, and when challenged people can never really give an answer as to why, usually muttering some right wing bollocks about him being a communist.
                        The other night I was involved in a debate with someone who said they would never ever vote labour because Corbyn was a traitor for supporting the IRA. When I pointed out that the Tories supported Saddam Hussein and had a dab hand in creating ISIS they simply denied both these facts and accused me of being a troll.

Comment

A lot of people voted Brexit to "give it to the establishment", yet those same people denounce voting for Corbyn, which really would be "giving it to the establishment"

Incidentally, I'm not actually advocating for Corbyn, I think he is naïve and his idea's are unworkable, it's the utter hypocrisy that a large number of voters demonstrate that rankles me.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRabbit View Post
                            A lot of people voted Brexit to "give it to the establishment".
                            Still campaigning for a second ref personally, odds still against it but it's become an actual contender now. Never been politically motivated to get off my arse for anything before but now attend rallies, meetings and give what money I can.

On a lighter note, Stewart Lee's take on Brexit is good for a laugh (as is his take on most things)

TL;DW highlights

'Not everyone who voted Brexit was a racist, some were just cunts'

And the notion (in response to Jack' point) that using Brexit as a protest vote is like being upset at the hotel you're staying in and shitting the bed in protest. Then realising you're still going to have to sleep in it.

'

Comment

Originally posted by JackRabbit View Post
                              No-body knows what happens next.
                              If parliament was working the way it should do, she should not have won last nights vote of confidence, every MP who voted against the Withdrawal bill, and then voted confidence in the government (the government they literally just denounced for being shit) is an utter hypocrite who has no place as an MP.
                              Sorry if it's obvious, but why is this hypocrisy? They voted against a particular measure the government was tabling, that's not the same as saying you have no confidence in the government as a whole surely? Not saying that 95% of politicians aren't hypocrites of course, I just don't understand why this makes them so.

Comment

Working...
                              X