No announcement yet.

Extra Manly Drinking thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack as it is I only eat British meat, most of my other food is fresh and spices, so really dodgy us food is only a problem if you are buying pre packaged junk. As it is most of the super markets only use British meat that won't change with free trade with America or the super markets would be selling loads of EU meat.

As for chemicals in other things, if they could put corn syrup and shit in them here they already would, it's still costly to import food products from the US to UK even with free trade purely due to logistics, the only thing free trade will really affect is the likes of electrical goods and bourbon as they come over here anyway.

Comment

Problem being, when the cheap, chemical filled crap starts to appear on British supermarket shelves, the working poor seeing the chance to save a few more pence will buy the cheap crap, meaning that in order to maintain their profit margins the healthier stuff will have to put their price up (or go out of business).
      I believe its the EU food standards that prevents corn syrup and the other crap that American food companies infest their products with from being used in EU food production.
      And whilst someone is certainly going to come back with "horse meat", that was in breech of the rules, and serves to illustrate that companies focused on the bottom line don't give two shits about quality if they see a chance for making a quick buck.

Comment

But would it be cheaper? Transportation of food is expensive, so the American meat would likely still come with a price for the freight or air delivery that would need to either be sent frozen or likely not even make it into the country before being out of date.

Sweets and such is a different thing as they have a high shelf life, but in this country they changed the label on cream eggs (they were never dairy milk) and people had mass protests, so stuff would likely go the other way on "treats" since even the Americans prefer ours to theirs.

As for saying it's EU stopping the crap in the food, the UK already sits outside a lot of the EU food regulations.

Comment

not sure if american meat shipped to you all would be all that expensive.
          in american markets...anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the beef for sale is from Australia and New Zealand.
          some of it is shipped frozen and some is actually shipped alive in special livestock ships.
          price wise....there is little to no difference

Comment

bringing livestock into this country alive is pretty much a no go, they aint even keen on EU animals coming in. so bringing it in alive is likely impossible. as for frozen meat, it's generally the cheap pre packaged junk anyway, really it's not worth eating once it's been frozen it never tastes right.

Comment

Been playing with dark matter and my bitters, turns out chuck in orange and chocolate ones and the biscuit taste of the rum makes it taste like Jaffa cakes.

Comment

day out to Alnwick tomorrow so time to buy some more rum from the Alnwick rum company. (might also visit the castle but mainly the rum)

Comment

so I went to Alnwick, and bought some Alnwick Rum, LEGENDARY and Percy Warmer.

tonights drink of choice is the LEGENDARY Rum, it's again a dark rum (I tend to lean more that way because I'm a reverse racist and don't like white rum) as it isn't a spiced rum it lacks the "spice" of the rum I would normally drink, meaning it is a very sweet rum, straight it is quite harsh and shows it has some kick at 43% (but considering Bulleit is my Bourbon of choice and 45% it's about normal for me) as usual I mix it with Ginger Beer Old Jamaica is my choice (obviously sugar free) mixed together it leads to a very sweet drink, it is a nice taste and a strong sweet flavour, but I would still take Kraken or Dark Matter over the LEGENDARY Alnwick rum it is a nice drink but not something that should carry the exclusivity of stockists that it does. (only really available in Alnwick and Holy Island)

if you happen to visit alnwick castle and want to try it, the taste of northumbria store in the town centre does offer trials. (they have a bottle of each open or they did at time of writing)

Comment

What? You mean visit THE NORTH? Why the frack would anyone do that?

Comment

it's north of the wall so you can see the wildlings..... or when I went monday a load of eastern europeans, americans and other nationalities, it was like being on holidays because the only geordies were serving food and drink.

Comment

finally found a bar "up north" that sells Bulleit Bourbon, £5.40 for a double is a bit rich for my taste tho.

but anyway new Rum is Cloven Hoof, it's a less sweet Rum compared to what I normally go for (it's not as dark) but it is a very "spiced" Rum, it has a strong after taste but a fairly plain first taste, drinking it is fairly middle of the road and doesn't really give anything away, you can tell it is a Rum but it's pretty average on first taste, it really kicks in after the swig with a strong taste of cloves and other spices leading to a really strong and to me nice after taste that lingers with you, it is certainly a drink that is better on the back end. it is still a nice drink, but I would still take some of the darker Rum over this as I prefer the caramel/biscuit flavour they carry.

Future testing will include the bottle of Jack Daniels Rye I bought, will be interesting to see how well it works in a Manhattan compared to the other Ryes I would normally drink (most notably Bulleit)

Comment

Working...
                        X