Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the original Star Wars be remade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the original Star Wars be remade?

just last night I was rewatching Empire Strikes Back for the first time in like 10 years. Was also the first time watching it and thinking "my God, this looks horribly dated".

So if they could remake the movies without changing the script and recreate it word for word with new actors and modern effects and camera, could they pull off the unthinkable and 'remake' Star Wars?

I'm sure Lucas would love to give it a go.

Comment

no.
      somethings are best left as they are.
      thats why no one has remade GOne With the Wind.
      there is no way they could make lightning strike twice it would end up just being a travesty.
      just getting the right kind of actors alone would be just about impossible.

Comment

The originals look shit because all the version now have CGI in that has aged badly when the practical effects still hold up.

So updating the visuals is what makes you think it is shit, that's why the new ones have gone back to practical effect as they hold up way better than CGI ever will.

Comment

Even if they could keep the films as they are but make the ship battles full cgi, but make it look real. I mean if EA can do it with their Battlefront trailer i am sure Disney could.

Comment

Then in 5 years it would look shit, instead now that Lucas has walked away they should just remaster the original effects made with models and props.

I watched the bluray remastered version and they did a hell of a job cleaning up the original films (to the point you can see stage direction marks) but every time one of the digital remaster CGI pieces came on it just made the film look shit as it is actually the "improved" bits that have aged the worst look at the crap trilogy and you can see the exact same shit CGI.

Practical effects always age better than CGI this was something Lucas was too stupid to see.

Comment

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Comment

If I'm honest, I find the original trilogy pretty boring these days. I'm sure i've watched them about 30 times though, and I think my internet addiction gives me a really short attention span. But I would be up for a JJ Abrams remake. I bet that's an unpopular opinion.

Comment

Burglar come back to it in a few years and it will be a demonstration in why CGI sucks.

Comment

When I watch the terrible lightsabre fight between Obi Wan and Vader I think yes, they should be remade.

Then I watch other films that have been remade and I think "nope". You see, remakes improve the CGI (although modern CGI looks wank compared to 90's CGI because they use it for EVERYTHING in the film and it looks sterile and weird) but they destroy the characters.

Look at the Star Wars prequels - good looking CGI (though way overused) but some of the worst characters from any flm ever. Obi Wan isn't the wise, "by-the-book" jedi he's supposed to be, he's reckless and a bore. Anakin the kid is a bad child actor, Anakin the young man is a whiney, angsty teen who needs chopping in half and burning in lava. Padme... Jesus fuck me with a dildo Padme is the worst creation ever. Only the emperor has any character.

So no, no remakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Belimawr View Post
                      Burglar come back to it in a few years and it will be a demonstration in why CGI sucks.
                      I think the only certainty in the next few years is that the use of CGI will increase, and we will still not notice the majority of it.

Comment

No.

Comment

So "The Force Awakens".....

Its alright. Certainly no​t a bad film and is well worth a watch.
                          But, as always, don't believe the hype.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRabbit View Post
                            So "The Force Awakens".....

Its alright. Certainly no​t a bad film and is well worth a watch.
                            But, as always, don't believe the hype.
                            But everybody is saying it's like seeing the first Star Wars for the first time all over again!

Are you insinuating they might only be saying that as part of a large campaign of advertizing to make sure plenty of people spend money to go and see it? Because I don't believe you if you are. We do not live in the kind of world where major publications will take money in exchange for hyping a certain product. It just does not happen.

IT DOESN'T HAPPEN JACK!

NOT AT CHRISTMAS!

Comment

It's almost enough for you to lose your faith in the integrity of the modern media.
                              Apparently people who had access to early screenings had to sign a non-disclosure agreement that prevented them from criticising the film before it was released.

Comment

Working...
                              X