Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terminator: Genisys - will it suck all kinds of hard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Belimawr View Post
    so watched this (gotta love the Koreans)

all in all it was a pretty craptastic film, the first part of it was all just pure fan service, it was full of rather large parts where the film just stalled and got boring. the sad fact is the only thing good from this film was actually Schwarzenegger and his one liners and attempts at "being human" and it really comes to something when the best part of the film is him.

all in all I would rate it 5 and a half beers out of 6, that number would have been lower (lower is better) but I found the film that dull I just kept going to get another beer, hell it was that bad I even paused and went for a beer during the bus chase on the bridge. so yeah it was a pretty craptastic film and even 11 units of alcohol couldn't resolve that problem.

but it's still early so now I have to go onto the whiskey, stupid ass film, really glad I never went to a cinema to watch it I would have probably fell asleep.

also why the fuck did they keep going on about judgement day in 1997, when that was stopped and it didn't happen till 2004 in terminator 3 or are they just ignoring terminator 3 (obviously not since he becomes a TX at the end) but even then in Terminator 2 they stopped judgement day (before 1997) and it didn't happen or come even close to happening till about 7 years after so why were they pushing for 1997 when if you follow the film time line nothing ever happened then.
    I wondered if severe amounts of alcohol might make it better, but then I realized this is not the way to think. If a film needs alcohol to make it better then it's just wank and can't be redeemed.

I think there's one point in this film where you can pause it and say "right here, this proves the writers and director have no fucking idea what they're doing" and it's when Kyle and Sarah go through the time machine to 2017 (or whenever it was), and they emerge on the motorway and immediately get run over, yet neither of them are even remotely injured. It was a hard enough impact to severely injure them, but there's not even a scratch (and Daenerys's make-up is still perfectly in tact, of course).

I mean, why even have them run over if you're just going to have them get up and walk away? It's bad writing/directing. It's just bad.

IT'S BAD!

Comment

Spoiler: 
      If this film remains canon, then none of the other Terminator films happened (Sarah shoots the terminator from T1 just after it appears).
      And that terminator should never have been sent in the first place. In the initial timeline the Terminator is sent to LA because records show that's where Sarah Connor lives. In this timeline Sarah is clearly shown to be a vagrant living below the radar.
      Every time I think about it, I just find another thread to pull on and unravel.
      Its such a piss poor film.

Comment

Just seen it, and fuck it. I really enjoyed it. Plus John Connor didn't create skynet, he was just a terminator helping build it. He was the real John Connor at the beginning then he was turned and sent back as a physical manifestation to help build it. Made perfect sense and was no way a paradox. Skynet was hipster Doctor Who. Plus in 2017 condoms and the pill exist so Kyle and Sara can have snu snu without having john, but he would still exist because he was born in an alternative timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by totally Not Cartoon Head View Post
          Just seen it, and fuck it. I really enjoyed it. Plus John Connor didn't create skynet, he was just a terminator helping build it. He was the real John Connor at the beginning then he was turned and sent back as a physical manifestation to help build it. Made perfect sense and was no way a paradox. Skynet was hipster Doctor Who. Plus in 2017 condoms and the pill exist so Kyle and Sara can have snu snu without having john, but he would still exist because he was born in an alternative timeline.
          and that is a paradox, John was never born to come back so the time line that sent him back didn't exist, it's like if someone broke into your house so you went back in time and killed him before he did, you would never have the need to go back in time in the first place so you never went back in time and never killed him meaning he would still break into your house. cause and effect is fun.

this is the problem with skynet seeding itself, it can't happen because that assumes the future precedes the past and by definition that can't happen without some bullshit excuse, thats why doctor who just used gibberish to explain away paradoxes, that or the flying monsters that destroyed everything if time got disturbed.

end of the day it was a shit film that should never of happened but then that is the entire terminator timeline apart from 3 where the release of skynet and judgement day made sense as they actually let it play out in the end and Arnie got John where he needed to be for the war kicking off. the first they destroyed pretty much everything, the second they definitely destroyed everything stopping judgement day and skynet, but then it still came about in the third for some reason. but the last one skynet making skynet is impossible as once the timeline changed John was on a different one to the one where the first terminator is killed as soon as he came from the past since he wasn't traveling during the change in history, that is why Kyle had a memory that was a paradox and that memory is what sorted the entire thing out, as until the end of the film after skynet is sort of destroyed young Kyle still didn't even know about the OS being skynet, so again it was the future coming before the past, something that is an impossibility.

Comment

On the plus side, it does make Mad Max look like a good film!

Comment

aint ya never heard of a boot-strap paradox?

Comment

Well I like it, and this is not me just saying it to be different or anything. I just genuinely thought it was a great film that made sense to me. Maybe that makes me dumb, but I can live with that. Arguing points about theoretical time travel interpretations will just keep looping, and I have slept since seeing it so trying to retrace my thoughts and notes about the movie is pointless anyway because I have a terrible short term memory, maybe in 6 months I will remember and come back and clarify why I thought it was great, who knows....

Comment

Nothing wrong with liking something that no-one else does. I watched half of it again last night (I still found it awful) and I think its just got far too much "sequel bait".
                  Which I wouldn't be totally opposed to, so long as they recast Sarah and Kyle (they were both fucking abominable!)
                  Last edited by JackRabbit; 06-03-16, 14:12.

Comment

I agree Sarah and Kyle could have been better cast. But tbh Arnie was the star of the film.

Find it funny most of the new Game of Thrones actors all pretty much suck in their own stand alone films but are good in GoT. John Snow in Pompeii, Theon in John Wick, Danyares in Terminator, Jojen Reed in Maze Runner, Jamie Lannister in Gods of Egypt and Sansa in X-men upcoming (ok the last one is more a prediction.)

Comment

What about Dinklage, I thought he was alright in that x men movie..? Though he's by far the best actor on Game of Thrones.

I enjoyed it also, was very weird, but compared to the previous terminator titles I think it's better than most of them asides from the first and second terminator which they will never recreate or improve upon. I liked that they tried different things, but ultimately I think it didn't really make sense..

The time travel part was a clusterfuck.. I spoke to some people about that, they basically came to their own weird conclusions, one of them being that Kyle Reese' memories melded with John Connors memories during the time travel stage at the start of the movie.. or something like that. Didn't really make much sense to me...

Kyle Rees goes back in time to 1980 or whatever fucking year it was doesn't have sex with Sarah Connor and proceeds to travel to another time... so wouldn't that mean that John Connor would never have existed and if John Connor didn't exist then Kyle Rees wouldn't exist since John saves Kyle at the start. They're all just a big happy time travelling family that saves eachother constantly... really bizzare.

Comment

Different branch of the timeline.

Basically when Kyle Rees went back the original Terminator film panned out like it did. This film branched off from the moment Kyle was being transported back and we followed an alternative timeline completely altered by someone (presumable Rees himself in the future) sending back 'Pops' the Terminator. So it is not really a sequel or a reboot. It is akin to Mad Max where it happens outside of existing canon.

As for time travel making sense, that is irrelevant because time travel is just a theory and nobody knows so you can't really explain anything anyway. Sometimes it is best not to think and just enjoy something for what it is and what it always has been. A dumb sci fi action flick.
                        Last edited by totally Not Cartoon Head; 07-03-16, 18:25.

Comment

Working...
                        X