My graphics issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My graphics issue

I don't really expect an answer to my issue here, but seeing as I'm at a loss for how to remedy the issue I thought I mayaswell see what others thoughts are. So I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 My issue is that ever since playing Wildstar I get a random black screen for about 5 seconds then it returns to normal. I'm pretty certain it's my display driver resetting itself for whatever reason. So since playing Wildstar it has turned out to be an issue with pretty much every game I play, so maybe it just triggered something that was already an issue within my card. I have found a work-around for playing Wildstar without the issue occurring, but I don't think it's doing my PC any good.

I'm at a loss for what to do, asides from replacing the card entirely, which wouldn't be such a bad idea since it's rather outdated. I would appreciate any advice on this issue.

tried dusting the card? I know wildstar kicks my fans up to fast and fast fans means they can push more dust into the heat sink and more dust means more heat leading to problems.

or if it is under load it could be the power supply dropping out, but that would depend on how much overhead you have and how old the PSU is.

Comment

Well I dusted it quite recently, couldn't hurt to do it again I suppose.

I don't think it's the power supply. it's not that old it's about 2 years old maybe.

Comment

at 2 years it should be fine unless you have something below a 500watt (but seriously who would with the price of them) or one from a crappy make.

failing that have your tried the time tested method of uninstalling the graphics drivers and reinstalling them (if it happened after a recent driver update going back to an older driver)

Comment

All I can think of is to re-install drivers, or try a different version.
          I wouldn't completely rule out PSU but it does sound more like a driver issue then anything. I wouldn't upgrade yet if that 580's still giving you the frames you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterflaw View Post
            All I can think of is to re-install drivers, or try a different version.
            I wouldn't completely rule out PSU but it does sound more like a driver issue then anything. I wouldn't upgrade yet if that 580's still giving you the frames you need.
            I would agree with that at the moment I'm still happy with my pair of GTX470's, sure they are showing their age a bit, but they should easily make it to at least the GTX800 cards. (or what ever AMD does if they get something better out, but then I've only ever used 3dfx and Nvidia lol)

Comment

chances are it's a driver of C++ visuals thing. i had a similar kind of issue when originally trying to install SWTOR- a driver that had got installed borked my monitor res and pushed it out of range for everything- even my desktop.... that was.... fun to fix.

I'd reccomend uninstalling wildstar and the re-downloading. You may have just downloaded a slightly corrupted file. then reload drivers etc.

Failing that, have you tried hitting it REALLY hard with a hammer?

Comment

Working...
              X