The "recommend an obscure game" thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "recommend an obscure game" thread

OK, so not everyone has enough time/will to write a "proper review", but with the steam (they are all cheaper elsewhere) sale kicked off, what obscure, under the radar game have you played that you thought was really rather excellent and for some reason does/did not get enough coverage.
    Certainly it was CartoonHeads recommendation of the "Game of Thrones" RPG that caused me to find a rather blinding game that I would certainly have avoided due to it being a populist tie in that got panned by press.
    So no recommendations for Alien:- Isolation, or Elite, or GTA V. We all know these games are supposed to be excellent.
    I mean those small, under the radar games that impressed you and deserve a bit of a push.

Driftmoon. Most fun I've had in a £1.99 game ever. Granted the graphics and mechanics are a bit crude but the story and especially the dialogue are fantastic. Made me actually laugh out loud a few times. At one point I found a skeleton who was just standing at the bottom of a deep cave digging, he said his master had ordered him to dig a tunnel to the other side of the world 7 years ago and that he died doing it but carried on. Then one of the dialogue options is to tell him that he's not digging straight down, so he won't actually come out on the other side, and he says something like "So I am! Better start again".

I tell ya, it's better than most AAA games that come out these days.

Comment

Yup, another game I found through recommendations on this forum (yourself and Cartoonhead again I believe). And for £2 you cannot really go far wrong.
      Would also recommend (again)
      Cloudbuilt http://store.steampowered.com/app/262390/ for £4.
      Essentially, if you liked Mirrors Edge, you will get a kick out of this. If you didn't, then avoid.
      Last edited by JackRabbit; 12-06-15, 00:38.

Comment

evoland is fun little blast of nostalgia for anyone who has ever played old school RPGs as it takes you from 2D to more or less modern 3D

and for anyone who likes tower defense game id say check out Defense Grid: The Awakening and all its dlc it has an engaing simple sci fi story with some really challenging play.

Comment

Heroes of a Broken Land. Been on my wish list for about a year and finally bought it in the sales half price. It's like 3 different games in 1. First you've got a world you travel around in, you can set the size of the world from small to enormous, meaning the game either lasts a few hours or more or less forever. Then you have a city of your own where you have to build stuff, like an alchemist who'll make and sell potions for you, an armourer who'll make and sell armour and so on, and the main part of the game is a dungeon crawler like Legend of Grimrock or older games like Eye of the Beholder.

The open world is a top down thing and when you move your little horsie on to a dungeon it becomes a first person dungeon crawler and you explore the dungeon and kill rats and skeletons and shit and get epic loot to take back to your city. Definitely worth a fiver.

Comment

That actually sounds interesting dayve will have to have a look.

Comment

It's really hard too. Doesn't hold your hand. I came across a trader who sold me the location of a dungeon full of treasure for 1000 gold and when I got there I just got wiped out on every mob. You need to make sure your party is balanced and whatnot. I've been bringing 2 priests for extra healing and buffs but I think 2 mages for ridiculous damage might be better.

Comment

Ultimate General Gettysburg, imagine Total War style combat with a tablet drag and drop interface with the best AI in an RTS I have ever played and you get this game. Out fucking standing. Down side, it is just one battle set into 4 phase/days. but the different AI personalities and other random events make it good re playability.

Survivalist, top down Walking Dead simulator with not so good cartoony indie graphics.

Zack Zero - colourful platformer that feels like a 90's kids cartoon.

Dig or Die - Like Terraria but with simpler crafting and you also battle rising water by digging drainage. Not the best game, but it is under £2 and better than a lot of £10 games.

Subject 9, isometric horde style fight off waves of enemies with skills/combat similar to Mass Effect

Oh yeah, I forgot.. Running With Rifles, it has a demo on steam and it is fucking brilliant, I am waiting for a refund of Icewind Dale EE to buy it.

Last edited by totally Not Cartoon Head; 23-06-15, 21:35.

Comment

Does FTL: Faster Than Light count as an obscure game? Jack gave it to me on STEAM in some sort of fit of Christian charity and I play it when I'm watching stuff because it doesn't have to be full screen and it's damn good for such a simple game. Just one thing that bugs me (but not enough to stop me playing) - it's luck based, so all the skill in the world won't help you in some situations.

I've had games where I made it through the whole first section without getting hit once, all the enemy missiles and lazers missed me, and I got to sector two with all kinds of upgrades, 2 new crew members, 20 missiles, enough fuel to last my half the game. Then I jump to sector two and the first star I jump in to solar flares me and sets 4 rooms on fire at once, plus the enemy ship teleports 3 bastards on to my ship, ALL my lazers and missiles miss miss miss one after the other, and I'm dead.

Comment

Bought a cool one this morning. Action Henk. A time trial racing platformer, just think Sonic mixed with Trials Evolution with Pixar graphics. It is really well made. Cheaper to buy direct from the devs through humble widget than on steam as they charge $9.99 instead of £12 on steam. About half the price roughly.

Comment

I almost bought Gettysburg in the sale, but it was the "one battle" thing that put me off. Quite frankly I have hundreds (possibly) of wargames, some even covering that period and exact battle, so this limitation did dissuade me.

Comment

Here is Macks review of it, but take note this was early access review. Game has been updated since then. Thing I love about it, is the battlefield has been scanned so the geography is accurate and it is all about line of sight, cover and elevation. It is easy to pick up and feels simply, but something about it feels so satisfying.

Comment

I might make an effort of writing about an obscure game every month, or an old game that maybe people never got into back in the day.

Comment

Tonight I bought "This War of Mine" on the Humble Bundle non DRm sale for £5.99(which they gave me a steam key for as well as the non drm version). It is really pretty cool. I sent a guy out scavenging and found a house with a family inside and the mother/wife came downstairs so I waited for her to go in the other room and stole all their food and medicine out of the cupboard. I noticed I still had a backpack slot left so I made sure the dad was in bed and I followed her to the furthest room and punched her head in and robbed her of a cigarette. When I got back to my hideout the woman was whining I was a murderer and never thought I could do such a thing, but the bitch still ate the food I brought back. Then when my guy and woman were resting in their beds, my other guy Pavel had a bottle of vodka to lift his spirits, got pissed and ate everyone's remaining food.

I love this game, it allows me to be a cunt to everyone Oh and some kids came knocking the door for medicine for their dying father, I told them I had none, then necked the last of them with a glass of wine. Fuck me, war is a bitch lol. I think I am going to to a youtube vid of this game.

Or you can pre order the game for Android on the Gamesrepublic website and get a free steam copy for £6.99. But I recommend it highly.

Comment

Originally posted by totally Not Cartoon Head View Post
                              Tonight I bought "This War of Mine" on the Humble Bundle non DRm sale for £5.99(which they gave me a steam key for as well as the non drm version). It is really pretty cool. I sent a guy out scavenging and found a house with a family inside and the mother/wife came downstairs so I waited for her to go in the other room and stole all their food and medicine out of the cupboard. I noticed I still had a backpack slot left so I made sure the dad was in bed and I followed her to the furthest room and punched her head in and robbed her of a cigarette. When I got back to my hideout the woman was whining I was a murderer and never thought I could do such a thing, but the bitch still ate the food I brought back. Then when my guy and woman were resting in their beds, my other guy Pavel had a bottle of vodka to lift his spirits, got pissed and ate everyone's remaining food.

I love this game, it allows me to be a cunt to everyone Oh and some kids came knocking the door for medicine for their dying father, I told them I had none, then necked the last of them with a glass of wine. Fuck me, war is a bitch lol. I think I am going to to a youtube vid of this game.

Or you can pre order the game for Android on the Gamesrepublic website and get a free steam copy for £6.99. But I recommend it highly.
                              First thing I'd do in a war is raid the nearest chemist for all the mollies.

Comment

Working...
                              X