Rejoice everyone: Wildstar is going 'Free to Play'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejoice everyone: Wildstar is going 'Free to Play'

Like nobody saw this coming even before it was released. On the plus side, I will get to try it at last.

http://www.pcgamer.com/carbine-on-wi...usiness-model/

they are attributing it's failure due to it being made for the hardcore market, so guess it is just more evidence people don't want hardcore WoW.

Comment

And the fact WoW is beyond stale nobody give fucks about MMORPGs any more. Dead genre, it has peaked, there is no innovation left there, people prefer the byte size instant gratification moba instead of pvp and epic single player RPGs with far superior story lines instead of shopping list PVE repetitiveness.

Comment

MMO's could work if they get away from the themepark MMO's like WoW.

Comment

To be honest I don't think they could now. Gamers are simply not sociable enough, communities have turned toxic and overly competitive.

Comment

MMO's are dead (for this generation and the next at least) because the genre began with the best two that could ever possibly be made, those being Guild Wars and World of Warcraft (WoW might not be as good now as it used to be but it doesn't change the fact that it couldn't ever be topped). All the rest are just imitatin'.

And don't give me that shit about Wildstar being for the hardcore crowd - I'm part of that crowd, it broke my heart that WoW moved away from its hardcore roots where you had to work your arse off for good gear and started handing epics out to everyone and their nan. I played Wildstar in the beta and it's generic as fuck. That's why it failed.

Comment

I was really into Wildstar at its launch.. But the game is lacking something, the combat feels very dull at times, I really wanted to love this MMO, but it just failed to grip me.

Comment

So when does it go free to play?

Comment

Fall is the only thing I have heard.

Comment

Dayve WoW was nowhere near the first MMO, hell EVE is at least a year older than WoW, hell everquest has been running 16 years to WoW's 10, to say WoW is the first MMO is like saying battlefield or CoD was the first FPS game.

as for guildwars that was as much an MMO as counterstrike.

Comment

Originally posted by Boa View Post
                      I was really into Wildstar at its launch.. But the game is lacking something, the combat feels very dull at times, I really wanted to love this MMO, but it just failed to grip me.
                      im right there with ya/
                      really wanted to love it just wasnt able to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Belimawr View Post
                        Dayve WoW was nowhere near the first MMO, hell EVE is at least a year older than WoW, hell everquest has been running 16 years to WoW's 10, to say WoW is the first MMO is like saying battlefield or CoD was the first FPS game.

as for guildwars that was as much an MMO as counterstrike.
                        It's irrelevant that other MMO's came out before it, the fact is that World of Warcraft came out very early in the MMO genres life and it was the best MMO there has ever been. That's why the genre is dying - because the best has already come and gone. Well it hasn't gone yet but it has gone stale at least.

With other types of games, like RPG's, strategy games, first person shooters and so on, you can look at each game and think "it could still be better", but in MMO's you just can't do that because they can't be better - the best has literally already been. Anything after is just disappointing.

Comment

but WoW could have been better, in fact in many ways it is better now, with a massive change from simplistic fights that relied on grinding gear to fights with multiple events that need different actions and planning, the only thing that made old WoW hard was a lack of online resources, if old school WoW released now it would get laughed out of the market.

the sad fact is popularity doesn't make something the best, it just makes it popular, best example of that is look at the apple devices, insanely popular, but actually worse than other cheaper options. this is before counting in the fact that every single feature in oldschool WoW came from a mix of SOE MMO's and the other MMO's that predated it by a considerable amount. basically they sat and looked through popular features from all the other MMO's and put them together to create WoW, so really without the many many other MMO's WoW would have never existed as it wouldn't of had the market testing to know MMO's are viable and what features people wanted, so WoW was nothing more than a game in the long line of MMO's that came in at a time that gamers were generally older and willing to pay a subscription.

basically without the prior MMO's and releasing at any other time WoW would have been a massive failure or just plain never of existed.

Comment

I know... but it's all irrelevant. WoW is the reason the MMO genre is dead/dying. Because it's the best! There's no point making any others!

You do have a point about best and most popular being different things though, but again it doesn't matter because WoW is simply the most well known and the biggest as well (unless you want to pretend EVE Online's infiniteness is the biggest), but it has the most content by far and is simply... the best all round.

It just won't be bettered.

Comment

but WoW doesn't have the most content. Everquest has more over the 20 or so expansions over it's 16 years so far and is still getting content updates.

the MMO genre isn't dying because WoW is the best, it is dying because people are trying to catch lightening in a bottle, as said WoW only got as big as it did due to timing and ripping off what came before, all modern MMO's try to emulate WoW and the fact is you can release WoW again but it will be a massive failure, this is why Blizzard will never release WoW2 as it would be a massive failure, WoW was like the Wii it was a lucky fluke that succeeded purely due to its timing.

Comment

Working...
                              X