Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paid mods on STEAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paid mods on STEAM

    This one slipped under the radar a bit didn't it? In that I've only just heard about it. So yeah, you can now charge money for mods you make. STEAM takes a cut (because earning enough money per year to feed all of the people in the world isn't enough for them) and you get the rest. Maybe the developer gets a small cut too? I dunno.

    Anyway people were going bonkers about it saying it's outrageous... and that was my first reaction too, but now I've thought about it a bit... it's a good thing. First of all it'll encourage more people to make mods, second it'll encourage them to make better mods so they'll become popular and sell well, and third... some mods take YEARS to make, and people deserve to be paid a little bit of money for their work don't they?

    There have been some fucking epic mods over the years that I would've happily paid a little money for, and there have been some that I would've happily paid £20 for. Europa Barbarorum for Rome: Total War, for example, would've been worth £30 for me. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion would've been worth £20 or £30 to me, it totally overhauled the game. No more level scaling, hundreds more weapons and armours, hundreds more magics, about 50 new creatures in the wild with their own AI,

    Whatya fink?

  • #2
    Are they back? I recall the furore (word of the day) a week or so ago but then Steam pulled the idea and it tailed off.

    I'm all for decent modders getting paid for their work, but this smacked to me of publishers / steam trying to work out how they could make money from it. Much like game resales I suspect the publishers have been jealously eying over what was being created using their IP.

    Comment


    • #3
      i think ya missed the boat on this one Dayve.
      its all over and done with.
      paid mods are gone from steam for the foreseeable future.

      Comment


      • #4
        Valve were being greedy wankers and taking 75% of the sale.

        But yeah, never really been bothered by mods cause by the time they come out I am done with the game anyway, plus if it aint cannon it doesn't interest me playing with saddo nudie skins and whatnot.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by totally Not Cartoon Head View Post
          Valve were being greedy wankers and taking 75% of the sale.

          But yeah, never really been bothered by mods cause by the time they come out I am done with the game anyway, plus if it aint cannon it doesn't interest me playing with saddo nudie skins and whatnot.
          You'll need to change your avatar. Every time I see it I'm tempted to reply to what you say with nothing but a TPB quote.

          Know'm say'n?

          Comment


          • #6
            Deeeeee Cent

            have you seen the new series they put on Netflix 3 weeks ago? And Swearnet the Movie too, funny as fuck.

            Comment


            • #7
              I haven't started watching the newest series yet - I'm waiting until it's finished so I can watch them all in one day with my mollies. Last series I watched was the one where they kept replacing Ricky's goldfish because he kept killing it by pouring liquor in to its bowl and shit, and the last film I watched was where they go on a road trip to sell Ricky's weed and Julian's clean piss samples and see the house Bubbles inherited from his parents.

              Comment


              • #8
                Paid mods was a joke, it allowed for mods worse than horse armour to be sold, hell one got listed that did nothing.

                Valve wanted nothing to do with policing it but still wanted a 75% cut of every sale it was just another in a long line of cash grabs by valve and Bethesda who are the reason we have paid dlc to start with.

                As for modders being paid if you make a good mod you can market it and sell it, people already do. The steam way was to make every mod paid meaning more free income for valve while making 90% of mods redundant as most of the smaller ones you would normally stack up would be ignored. Hell look at the must have mods for skyrim and think how much it would cost you if every one of those sold for $2 and considering some would cost considerably more you would end up paying way way more for the game while the modders got a tiny share of the money made.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dayve View Post
                  I haven't started watching the newest series yet - I'm waiting until it's finished so I can watch them all in one day with my mollies. Last series I watched was the one where they kept replacing Ricky's goldfish because he kept killing it by pouring liquor in to its bowl and shit, and the last film I watched was where they go on a road trip to sell Ricky's weed and Julian's clean piss samples and see the house Bubbles inherited from his parents.
                  They released the entire series on day one, I watched it in an afternoon.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The guy behind the Nexus Mods sites has written a bunch of good blog posts on the philosophy and implications of paid mods. Well worth a read.

                    There's good and bad points to charging for mods, but I think on the whole it's a bad idea. I think a healthy donation culture around modding would be a good thing though. Like Dayve says there's been plenty of mods over the years that I would have happily given a few quid too.

                    It was a bit weird of Valve not to anticipate the huge backlash and then back down so quickly.

                    Also it's worth noting Valve's cut was 25-30%.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Burglar View Post
                      Also it's worth noting Valve's cut was 25-30%.
                      multiple sources confirmed it was actually 75% on mods, the 30% cut is from games.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Belimawr View Post

                        multiple sources confirmed it was actually 75% on mods, the 30% cut is from games.
                        See... that's beyond greedy. All I can do is shake my head and sigh at it. They already literally make more than a billion dollars a year. To demand a 75% cut of whatever a mod sells for, when they do literally none of the work and when their only contribution to it is to HOST the mod, is absolutely outrageous.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And this is the holier than thou Valve and St Gabe, the internet would explode if it was the EVIL money grabbing EA or UBI.

                          Funny how the mass public hold one multi billion dollor publisher in much higher esteem than the rest.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by totally Not Cartoon Head View Post
                            And this is the holier than thou Valve and St Gabe, the internet would explode if it was the EVIL money grabbing EA or UBI.

                            Funny how the mass public hold one multi billion dollor publisher in much higher esteem than the rest.
                            I suppose you could make the argument that at least STEAM is generally a fantastic platform that has a lot to offer. EA and UBISOFT are just pure dicks 100% of the time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              25% went to the modders, 45% went to Bethesda, and 25-30% went to Valve, the 5% variation depending on whether the mod creator had chosen to add a "service provider", a scheme to give back to some of the people that contribute to the community. So the Nexus Mods site was on the list, for example.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X