No announcement yet.

Alien Isolation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I should dedicate a day to it not fit it in for 30-60 mins after player Elite all day and get into the atmosphere of the game. I don't buy games to not like them, just so far it feels like every other corridor shooter I have ever played (I know it aint a shooter, but thats the vibe it gives so far). I am probably just over tired or something and my mollies run out today so that never puts me in a good mood, hopefully get some more tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by totally Not Cartoon Head View Post
      Maybe I should dedicate a day to it not fit it in for 30-60 mins after player Elite all day and get into the atmosphere of the game. I don't buy games to not like them, just so far it feels like every other corridor shooter I have ever played (I know it aint a shooter, but thats the vibe it gives so far). I am probably just over tired or something and my mollies run out today so that never puts me in a good mood, hopefully get some more tomorrow.
      Watch the video I linked man, that's when you properly meet the alien and what the game is like once you properly meet the alien. I mean properly meet it - as in, up to that point it's scripted while you get used to the game and learn to throw flares and shit to distract enemies while you get to your next destination. Then when you get to that point in the game (which really isn't far in at all) they properly unleash it on you. No more scripting, no bullshit, it's on you. It does what it wants, it reacts to noise, it changes its mind, like it has a quick look around the room you're hiding in and starts to leave, then goes "hmm, I think I'll just have another quick look around in there, I'm sure I can smell the smell of freshly shat pants". It's awesome.

And you can use the alien to clear out groups of human baddies. It's hilarious. If they won't let you past you can hit a wall with the wrench or fire off a bullet, the alien will hear it and come to see who the fuck is making all the noise when it's trying to have a sleep, and it'll see the baddies and eat them. I love doing this. I even do it to people who aren't hostile to me.

Comment

Meh, just put in for a refund. A bug that made me restart the whole game in the first 10 minutes and 2 crash to desktops just after I meet the first guy (the bald one with a gun). So in an hour I had 2 crashes and one game breaking bug. Fuck it, not worth putting up with.

Comment

Originally posted by totally Not Cartoon Head View Post
          Meh, just put in for a refund. A bug that made me restart the whole game in the first 10 minutes and 2 crash to desktops just after I meet the first guy (the bald one with a gun). So in an hour I had 2 crashes and one game breaking bug. Fuck it, not worth putting up with.
          Fair enough. Must be some hardware clash somewhere though. I've had 0 game breaking bugs and only two crashes in 45 hours... and both of those were when I was loading the game after first starting it up.

Comment

Yeah just seems to be one of those things. I could have probably sorted it if I really wanted to but just felt like so much effort for a game I wasn't really into in the first place. Maybe I will rent it once I get my xbox one/ps4.

Comment

Imagine playing this on Occulus Rift/VR!
              Should you take out a life insurance policy before playing, and who will be the first person to sue after suffering a heart attack!

Comment

unless your all buying us all VR jack I doubt many if anyone here will be buying it at launch prices. the fact is VR isn't made for the masses, it's made for the tech heads and people who just have to be first and that is why it is priced about the same as the PC needed to run it on minimum settings.

to get a good VR experience your probably talking well over 2 grands for the PC and the headset, I'm running an i7 extreme and a GTX980 but I would still put money on it wouldn't be the best of experience without out at least a second 980. the sad fact is the headset price and the hardware requirements pretty much price them out of the market, sadly as it stands depending how Sony subsidise the hardware for PSVR (after all they sell the consoles at a loss making more back in licensing) but since Sony are using parallel computing to offload processing to the headset I can't see it being cheap but in the long run it will probably still work out cheaper and give a better experience than the first gen VR stuff due to the games being dedicated to that single hardware setup will allow them to be much more targeted at giving the experience intended.

but still I think AR will end up going further than VR as it has way more uses.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRabbit View Post
                  Imagine playing this on Occulus Rift/VR!
                  Should you take out a life insurance policy before playing, and who will be the first person to sue after suffering a heart attack!
                  I might buy the VR around the end of this year. I'm saving up (slowly) for a new PC now I paid up my credit card and cut it up in to 30 pieces and binned it, estimated to be done saving up for that around August or something, then if I can save another 3 or 400 by Christmas I'll get one with the new PC. Depends if I can find a part time job that's in walking distance so all the money I make doesn't have to be spent on the bus. The butchers hires me every time one of his regular staff is off for whatever reason. I'm very polite and funny and the customers like me, don't you know?

Anyway I doubt the occulus rift would affect me with Alien Isolation, though I would love to play it with it. I've played it so much now that I'm basically numb to the alien. I'm on my 6th or 7th playthrough right now on hard difficulty - I'm right near the end and have died a grand total of once, due to accidental suicide. 3 Working Joes cornered me and I meant to throw an EMP mine at my feet to disable them all (because the EMP mine does no damage to human enemies at all) but I accidentally threw a pipe bomb and blew myself up.

Comment

dayve likely going to need a lot more saving, your probably looking at around £500 for the rift then extra for the controllers, then the min requirements are a GTX970 so your looking at around £250 for an entry level card but will likely want a pair of them to work it properly, so your probably looking at around £500 just on the graphics end of the PC. so if you can afford the PC and rift setup you will be doing really well at saving with just a part time job.

also my biggest concern with the tech is that Rift and Vive are working independant so you always have the worry you buy the betamax/HDDVD version, the biggest worry on that is Valve and HTC have a lot to lose if the Vive fails (could be the end of HTC they are doing really bad with phones recently) so they will likely be throwing a lot of money at it. while Rift does have the backing of facebook and licensing fees coming in from Samsung (yes supposedly my S6 can do the same as a rift) they don't have the industry backing that Valve will demand and likely make a requirement for VR games on steam.

so I would really wait for the second generation, they will likely be considerably cheaper or expand to more of the QHD phones since they can replace all the gubbings of the headsets and then it creates a device with a secondary use that will have much wider use.

Comment

Well considering I still haven't even upgraded to PS4 yet, I think it's going to be a few years till I get one.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRabbit View Post
                        Well considering I still haven't even upgraded to PS4 yet, I think it's going to be a few years till I get one.

prices will likely start to head for the £200 mark this year anyway as that is normally the optimal selling point for consoles, I'm honestly surprised it's held it's price as well as it has, but then towards the end of last year the demand was still quite high, but I think this year will be the year for it to drop or possibly get a slim or version 2 built on cheaper hardware to bring the price down.

Comment

Originally posted by Belimawr View Post
                          dayve likely going to need a lot more saving, your probably looking at around £500 for the rift then extra for the controllers, then the min requirements are a GTX970 so your looking at around £250 for an entry level card but will likely want a pair of them to work it properly, so your probably looking at around £500 just on the graphics end of the PC. so if you can afford the PC and rift setup you will be doing really well at saving with just a part time job.

also my biggest concern with the tech is that Rift and Vive are working independant so you always have the worry you buy the betamax/HDDVD version, the biggest worry on that is Valve and HTC have a lot to lose if the Vive fails (could be the end of HTC they are doing really bad with phones recently) so they will likely be throwing a lot of money at it. while Rift does have the backing of facebook and licensing fees coming in from Samsung (yes supposedly my S6 can do the same as a rift) they don't have the industry backing that Valve will demand and likely make a requirement for VR games on steam.

so I would really wait for the second generation, they will likely be considerably cheaper or expand to more of the QHD phones since they can replace all the gubbings of the headsets and then it creates a device with a secondary use that will have much wider use.
                          Yeah, good points I suppose. I don't particularly WANT one, they just look pretty cool and it's something I'd like to try. I had no idea you also needed a monster of a PC + other bits and bobs to run it, I thought you just bought the thing, plugged it in to a USB and it'd be compatible with whatever games were made to run it. So yeah, bollocks to that.

I won't be buying any consoles though. I'm no dirty console peasant. I am a knight errant of the glorious PC gaming master race.

...even if I only use that PC to play games that are many years old, or indie games that could run on a £300 toaster.

Comment

Honestly games like Alien are what Oculus rift should be made for. I would never play the game on VR because I am a scaredy cat who has a kid with a balloon phobia (the anticipation of when it is going to pop, because IT IS GOONA FUCKING POP) and jump scares fuck up my anxiety issues, the immersion would probably give me a genuine heart attack.

Comment

There aren't very many jump scares in Isolation, it's more constant tension. The worst parts for me are having to use the cutting tool or hacking device on doors - it happens in real time, so you have to spend between 5 and 15 seconds cutting/hacking through a door/vent/whatever when things are going on behind you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dayve View Post

Yeah, good points I suppose. I don't particularly WANT one, they just look pretty cool and it's something I'd like to try. I had no idea you also needed a monster of a PC + other bits and bobs to run it, I thought you just bought the thing, plugged it in to a USB and it'd be compatible with whatever games were made to run it. So yeah, bollocks to that.

I won't be buying any consoles though. I'm no dirty console peasant. I am a knight errant of the glorious PC gaming master race.

...even if I only use that PC to play games that are many years old, or indie games that could run on a £300 toaster.

yeah thats why I said it's very unlikely a lot of people will get it as it is very cost prohibitive for the majority of gamers. as it stands it is basically aimed at the people who buy stupidly expensive hardware that they will never use. basically the type of person who got a core2quad and 32gig of RAM back in 2006 just for gaming.

Comment

Working...
                                X