Elite:Dangerous

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spatula View Post
    adder is a very good explorer ship- it can have a jump range north of 35 light years if kitted out right. You'll want to run with no weapons (weight lowers jump range, so anything you can do to drop it helps).

Main thing you'll want though is an advanced discovery scanner. The basic and intermediate dont find everything in system first ping- forcing you to fly around a lot, which is a huge issue time wise if you land in one of the many binary systems. The advanced finds every celestrial object in one hit- you can then fly out to scan the ones you want with the surface scanner (without having to ping each object individually), The rub though is that it costs 1.5 million. You can get by without it quite happily, but it makes your life SOOOOOO much easier.
    I know, that's what I'm saving up for. I can already afford the Adder and probably the modules for it, minus weapons. I've come up with quite a novel way of finding the other star in binary systems with just the basic D-scanner.

When I drop in at the main star, I point my ship away from it and fly about 1,000ls away from it so that I can clearly see the sky (well space doesn't have a sky but whatevs). Then I point my nose directly at the main star and pull back on the stick and do a very slow 360 degree backflip, checking out all the lights in the sky, looking for one that stands out. If I don't find it, I roll my ship to the left a bit and do it again, and again, and again, until eventually I see one star in the sky and go AHA! IT'S YOU!

Then I accelerate towards it and when I get to about 500c I look to see if it's "moving" against the stars in the background to its left and right. If it is then I was right, that's the other star in the system. If it isn't then I made an error and it's not, so I point my nose at the main star and start the backflips again.

And you know what? I get it right 9 times out of 10. The easiest ones to spot are red/brown dwarfs because they stand out so boldly against the other stars. The hardest ones to find are white stars because they just blend in with the background so I've had to give up on a few of them. Now, I'll be glad when I get the system wide D-scanner (the 1.5m credits one), but at the same time I'm gonna miss this little game of hide and seek I play.

Comment

yeah, that's parralax discorvery you're describing. People have been flipping back and forth over that- on one hand it makes exploration challenging. On the otherhand it makes it take SOOO much time.

I kinda just want to go out there, see the sights and go somewhere new- so once i've got the advanced scanner i'm off.

Managed to get half an hours play last night- earned about 120k in bounties in that time, which included one net connection log off. Turns out imperial clippers, while looking stunning and packing on HELL of a punch head-on, can't turn for shit. Took two down last night in my cobra by simply strafing around it at about 1.8 K. Dual beams and dual gimballed multicannons made short work of them. Bea-utiful.

Saw my first 'police' anaconda last night too- jesus that made short work of the pirates.

Still loving this game, just gutted that i don't get more time to play it. Wifes away (with the kids) first week of may, going to cram SO MUCH GAMING into that time :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Spatula View Post
        yeah, that's parralax discorvery you're describing. People have been flipping back and forth over that- on one hand it makes exploration challenging. On the otherhand it makes it take SOOO much time.

I kinda just want to go out there, see the sights and go somewhere new- so once i've got the advanced scanner i'm off.

Managed to get half an hours play last night- earned about 120k in bounties in that time, which included one net connection log off. Turns out imperial clippers, while looking stunning and packing on HELL of a punch head-on, can't turn for shit. Took two down last night in my cobra by simply strafing around it at about 1.8 K. Dual beams and dual gimballed multicannons made short work of them. Bea-utiful.

Saw my first 'police' anaconda last night too- jesus that made short work of the pirates.

Still loving this game, just gutted that i don't get more time to play it. Wifes away (with the kids) first week of may, going to cram SO MUCH GAMING into that time :-)
        Aye, I'll be making a beeline for Saggitarius A*. That's my first destination. There's plenty more but that's my first stop.

Comment

Yeah I've seen screenies of people who've been out there- looks puuuurdy.

Personally, I'm looking for the thargoids

Comment

If you find them they'll blow you up. I hear they've got ships so advanced that they're faster anything humans have but have no visible propulsion system.

Comment

well they're due to make an appearance.

Probably not until they've launched the ability to walk around your ship/board others, but they're definitely coming.

Comment

I can't wait to land on planets man. I hope they make it so you get even more cash for exploration if you find the planet, scan it, then land and take soil samples and shit.

Comment

Well I just won my first battle (well, with a bit of help from the filth). Interdicted on my way to deliver a vital shipment of tea!
                  I even got about 75 000 creds for my amazing (ahem) combat abilities!

Comment

That's a great idea Dayve- it's really make finding inhabital worlds precious

Grats JR- you'll be scourge of the galaxy in no time...!

Comment

I've been looking at this, how well do you think it will work on a DS4 pad? as I can't see the point in getting a joystick for one game.

Comment

Finally found a station that sells the Adder ship, after pretty much a whole day of looking. Unfortunately I only had enough money to upgrade its surface scanner and frame shift drive, so everything else on it is standard junk that needs to be replaced. So before I can head out in to totally dead space where there be dragons and thargoids I need to hug civilized space for a little bit longer and make some more dallaz.

Originally posted by Belimawr View Post
                        I've been looking at this, how well do you think it will work on a DS4 pad? as I can't see the point in getting a joystick for one game.
                        I've seen a few people on the forums say they play it just fine with a joypad. The DS4 is a joypad right? I've never heard of it. You can buy gimballed/tracking weapons that lock on to enemy ships. They do less damage than fixed guns (ie non-tracking weapons) but as long as you keep your nose pointed at the enemy they track it and pretty much every shot hits, so that's a big help. I use them because I just can't keep my crosshair lined up at all in a dogfight. Also a lot of people prefer mouse and keyboard, even over a joystick. They use up, down, left and right with the mouse to move the nose of your ship and they use A and D to bank left and right. It's pretty much just a case of keeping your crosshair pointed at where you want to go. So yeah, definitely doesn't NEED a joystick to be played.

Comment

I spent about £20 on the joystick I bought for it (a cyborg V1 if that's important) putting the price of the game in the same range as when I bought the first Guitar Hero.
                          And for all this talk of joystick resets for fine manouvers, I find WASDEQ just fine.
                          Hell, modern airlines don't have everything linked to the joystick, why the fuck should a spaceship?

Comment

Dayve it's the pad from the PS4.

JackRabbit it may be cheap to buy one but it is still just adding more cost to the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Belimawr
                              it may be cheap to buy one but it is still just adding more cost to the game.
                              But if you buy a decent one it'll last you a decade or more and you can use it for other games too. Like Star Citizen! Unless it turns out to be a floppy turd (which it might, the hype surrounding it is suspiciously epic and its fanbase is fucking toxic).

Get it dude, get a joystick, you know you want to. You and me can go on a trip to the edge of the galaxy. Can do all sorts of gay stuff out there and nobody will ever know. Except the Thargoids. I'll bring my wig.

Comment

maaaan how'd i miss out on an invite like that?!?!

I love the joystick, and i look at it as it's not for Elite, it's for any space game i'll play.... it's just that i'm only using it for elite :-)

To be fair though, i bought the joystick with the thought of buying a Rift when the consumer unit was out. Though i also have to say, mouse and keyboard worked fine for me.

wrt fixed vs gimballed- fixed do more damage- 10-20% more. but, they hit less. Honestly, for every 'fixed only' person i see another 'gimballed only'. I use ginballed as it gives me more options and allows me to drift past ships at a greater angle, giving me more options than on a fixed.

Only thing i think elite is missing is directional damage to shields. Damnit i want to take someones side sheilds down then be in a merry dance trying to hit that exposed part!

Comment

Working...
                                X