No announcement yet.

Elite:Dangerous

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right. So I've bought the game, bought the joystick ¬¬, done the training, and there doesn't seem to be a marketplace. Have they stripped out the very basic most fundamental component of Elite?

Comment

Quite frankly the tutorials are fucking terrible, and don't tell you shit about having to play the game.

Comment

Yup, it looks great, yup it sounds great, and I am quite happy to eat these words in the future but ITS GOT NO FUCKING GAMEPLAY.

Comment

This game is in dire need of a proper tutorial encompassing all factors you need to know in order to take part in the game.
          Elite was much simpler and came with a manual. This is much more complex, and seems to lack one.
          So far, regret scale is in the positive.

Comment

Right. So there is a commodities market. But the game starts you off in a location that doesn't have one.
            Clever.
            I can see the potential is there. But my initial impressions are not great.

Comment

Don't worry, Pillars of Eternity's forgiveness is bountiful and it will accept its prodigal son with open arms when you're ready to return.

Comment

I'm downloading it as we speak. Not getting a joystick though, I've always found I have better control with mouse and keyboard. According to most of the reviews I've read and watched you need to spend anywhere between 5 and 15 hours of intense learning/playing before you know what the fuck is going on.

Comment

Yeh, its a good game, very old school.
                  Here's the universe. Go do stuff.
                  Its just a shame that you are given no information about actually HOW to do it!
                  Oh, keyboard and mouse is a nightmare, though you can use a controller if you have one.

Comment

Okay so here's the thing. This is obviously a good game with plenty to do (though like you say, you have to find it yourself and make your own adventures) and I've wanted to get in to one of these games for years and I'm going to get in to this. I intend to learn it inside out, decorate the inside of my ship with hanging garlic and become a proper eliterer, do stuff with the community and join guilds and the whole everything. I've decided.

But here's the thing...

I had this problem with Evochron Mercenary (and a similar problem with flight simulator)... it fucking terrifies me and switches on all my survival senses. I started playing earlier and did the launch and dock tutorials. Those were fine. I gently lifted off the launch pad and very slowly maneuvered outside of the station. Tutorial over. Second tutorial, slowly approach the station, fly in through the blue hole, gently lower myself down on to the landing pad. The beeps getting gradually louder as I landed made my pulse rise a bit but I did it easy enough.

third tutorial... travel to an adjacent star system using the super duper extra fast speed. Gently lift myself off the pad, slowly exit the station, fine. "Go to 5km out to exit station vicinity" or whatever. So I do that. "Press J to engage captin kirk drive". So I press J and I hear something charging up and there's a little countdown and ARGH FUCK ME STUFF IS HAPPENING AND I'M GOING REALLY FAST I WANNA GET OFF STOP THE RIDE.

Then it tells me to open the galaxy map and set destination to the next star. So I wipe the sweat off my forehead, figure out how to open the map (would it really have killed them to tell me I had to press 1 to open the map? Why did I have to Google how to do this simple thing?) and I see my destination so I click "plot route". I line up my destination with the little yellow dot on my screen and it tells me to press J again. Now something else is charging up. I don't like it. So I close my eyes and hope nothing I've done kills me. After 10 seconds I open my eyes and see that nothing has happened and it wants me to "throttle up to engage Captain Picard drive".

Except I don't want to. I'm terrified. I want to go back in the station I just came out of and land and switch my engines off and have a picnic or something. That's much less stressful. But I can't because I have to get used to this game that I just spent 40 quid on. So I gently, very very gently tap W just once to throttle up and there's a red countdown on the screen and then ARGH FUCK I DON'T LIKE THIS MAKE IT STOP HOW DO I KNOW I'M NOT GOING TO FLY RIGHT IN TO A PLANET SHUTFUCKSHITFUCK.

Then I come out of captain Picard speed and ARGH FUCK I'M RIGHT IN FRONT OF A SUN I'M GOING TO FUCKING BURN TO DEATH REVERSE REVERSE REVERSE REVERSE REVERSE FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

So now I'm having my third heart attack and I really want to get in the station and turn the fucking game off before I die in real life and in the game too. So I again figure out how to set destination to the station (which is really easy but the tutorial doesn't tell you how so it's not easy at all) and I line it up with the dot on my screen and throttle up towards it. It says it'll take me 56 minutes at current speed so I hold down W key to throttle up some more and ARGH FUCKING SHIT THAT'S TOO FAST I'M GOING TO CRASH FUCK ME HARD STOP STOP EMERGENCY STOP X X X X X.... now I'm 56 minutes away from it again but in the other direction because I flew right past it. So I line it up again and get it right this time by spending over an hour slowly flying towards it. Then I press J to come out of super star trek speed and in to regular speed and out of nowhere JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THE STATION IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH STOP RIGHT NOW X X XX X X X X XX X.

Then I gently fly safely through the blue hole and land unscathed. I did everything right. But I've had 5 heart attacks because this game is the most terrifying thing I've ever played. What can I do to make this stop? I really want to play this game but it's scary.

Comment

Spoiler

Not really, there is no story. But you might want the surprise!

Spoiler: 
                      So I was delivering some crates of food to the Kremainn system as part of a mission (£4000 creds FTW!) when suddenly the FTL drive goes batshit crazy flashing blue with the words "attempted interdiction" flash up.
                      That's right, pirate attack! Though there was a small area with "escape vector" lit up which I headed for and the interdiction apparently failed.
                      Though I was still dropped back into normal space with a few pirates threatening to "end me".
                      Of course, being the plucky Irishman I am, I hightailed it out of there without anyone firing a shot, got to the base within the time limit and got paid.
                      That's the thing about being a live coward rather than a dead hero, you get the chance to be a live coward again!

Comment

Originally posted by JackRabbit View Post
                        Spoiler

Not really, there is no story. But you might want the surprise!

Spoiler: 
                        So I was delivering some crates of food to the Kremainn system as part of a mission (£4000 creds FTW!) when suddenly the FTL drive goes batshit crazy flashing blue with the words "attempted interdiction" flash up.
                        That's right, pirate attack! Though there was a small area with "escape vector" lit up which I headed for and the interdiction apparently failed.
                        Though I was still dropped back into normal space with a few pirates threatening to "end me".
                        Of course, being the plucky Irishman I am, I hightailed it out of there without anyone firing a shot, got to the base within the time limit and got paid.
                        That's the thing about being a live coward rather than a dead hero, you get the chance to be a live coward again!
                        Ah Jesus fuck... so things can happen to me IN captain kirk speed as well as when I come out of it?

Ah fuck my chest is aching just thinking about it.

Comment

Yeah- the tutorials are truly truly awful. They're more there to practice mechanics rather than learn them. Though god knows where you're supposed to learn them from.

I just kinda jumped in, hoped for the best and then looked up controls when I needed to.

Haven't been in since the wings update, hell haven't really played anything for 6 weeks, but it always there at the back of my head: an elite shaped itch.

Comment

Indeed. At least 30 years ago games came with manuals that you could prop up on your lap whilst you learn the mechanics!

Comment

see that was always the killer for me with EVE, I loved the game as a concept, but basically they just chucked you off the deep end and said "get on with it" I would love to get into a game like this of EVE but I just can't bring myself to sit for hours and work out how to play the game, nevermind how to achieve something I want to do.

Comment

I hated Eve, it literally would reward you for not playing. Everything was automated, and when the automated systems flew me through an asteroid (with no noticeable effect. At all, not even a knock or stop) I gave up.
                                No way was I paying a sub for that.
                                Thing is, even when I was exasperated trying to figure out what the fuck I needed to do for my first few hours of Elite, I was still drawn.
                                I found Eve a drag from the outset.
                                I'm currently swapping between Elite and Pillars!

Comment

Working...
                                X