No announcement yet.

Elite:Dangerous

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't get to claim it until you have registered them with Stella cartographics (I think).
    So you have to get back to inhabited space. Not sure what happens if you get perished before you get back.

Comment

• You can discover half the universe but if you die before you you get back to civilized space to hand the data in then it's gone. There's no getting it back. Same with bounties. Everything is stored on your ship, so if it gets destroyed you loses it.

I spent about a week out exploring and got very paranoid on my way back to civilized space. I got especially paranoid about stars (they scare me more than anything in this game). You know some stars have loads of asteroid fields around them? Can you hit those? Because I get impact warnings when I'm moving away from a star to do my next jump (charging frame shift drive heats your ship up, so I move away from stars to let it cool down before my next jump). When you're near a star and you point your ship away from a star to move away from it but are very close, the light is so intense from the star that it makes space completely black. That's when I get paranoid. Then I get a "slow down" and "impact" warning and start ripping my joystick apart.

This is the second scariest game I've ever played, after Alien Isolation.

Comment

• Originally posted by totally Not Cartoon Head
        It certainly does give an eerie feeling in deep space. Quite possibly the only time ever in gaming I have actually felt immersed in a game. Sure I have really got into the story and stuff, but never had actual feelings of being somewhere other than my living room armchair. Quite a feat.
        Before I got my advanced discovery scanner (the one that scans an entire solar system rather than just 500ls or 1000ls), if I went in to a system with two stars very far apart, I used to have great fun trying to locate that other star. I'd move away from the main star, far enough that its light wasn't affecting what I could see around me, then start rotating my ship slowly scanning all the stars, looking for one that looked different to the rest. Then I'd accelerate toward it and see if it moved or increased in brightness/size as I was moving toward it. If it did, that was my star. If not, I made a mistake.

I had so much fun doing that, watching it get bigger and bigger the closer I got to it.

...of course, then I would shitting myself when I got very close, because stars terrify me.

Comment

• heheh i really need to get abck into this. going to dedicate a week next week to ploughing further into the black.

last time i was about 6 hours out from colonised space and still rarely finding an unclamed system. realised it was becasue i was heading towards something interesitng-so i've picked the most boring section of space i can find and then i'm going to head towards it.

plan to not come back until I've claimed at least 200 systems lol

also- never thought id agree with this, but the intermediate scanner makes it so much more fun. love flying around systems looking for shit.

Incidentally, The devs have said there's already 'alien' shit out there for people to find, and im going to be a lot that they wont turn up on the advanced scanner....

Comment

• So I was maxing out my type six transporter to carry as much cargo as possible, selling the shield generator in the process.
            And I can't buy another one (apparently, this might be a bug).
            Not a massive deal, I can just sell the thing and buy another one, but just a warning for when you are pimping out your ships, be careful when selling shield generators.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackRabbit View Post
              So I was maxing out my type six transporter to carry as much cargo as possible, selling the shield generator in the process.
              And I can't buy another one (apparently, this might be a bug).
              Not a massive deal, I can just sell the thing and buy another one, but just a warning for when you are pimping out your ships, be careful when selling shield generators.
              Only a fool sells his shield generator. Only a fool. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Btw it has been about a month since I last played Elite. It was the first game I installed after my fresh Windows 10 was finished, then I realized I'd have to spend an hour recombobulating my joystick controls again and was like ugh. Seriously it took me fucking ages to get the joystick twist for my rudder to JUST THE RIGHT SENSITIVITYNESS. A single milimeter less and my rudder is too stiff, a single milimeter more and it's too loose. I had it just right JUST RIGHT BY GOD FUCK.

Anyway what I'm saying is I've regressed back to the stress I felt when first playing. I'm now terrified to even log in. It's those stars... they trigger something man. I have some phobia. A bad one.

Comment

• That's why I haven't been playing much recently- after my new HDD I need to re-band all my controls too. Took me ages to get it right last time :-/ I'll sort it at get weekend.

Explorer? Running shields?? Why???? There's utterly no need and it eats jump range.

Comment

• On my way to a python, found a nice trade route that gets me 1.7 mil an hour, so a few days I can get a nice BIG ship.

Comment

• If anyone fancies earning big money, but a trading ship, fit the maximum cargo racks, a good power supply and FSD drive(ASP is better than a type 6 as it can jump further and hold more cargo if you outfit it to) and find a trade route using this site. It is manually in putted and updated by players for prices as they change frequently and will work out a profitable route for you or tell you were to best place to sell your stuff is. Using this site in the last 3 days I have made 20 mil running back and forth between 2 stations (takes about 5-10 minutes each way).

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

Comment

• I have a hard time doing trading in Elite (or any game really). It's just mind numbing. And the worst part is, it's usually so profitable that when I stop doing it, whatever I do next doesn't make nearly as much income, so I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forward.

Comment

• I agree. It is mind numbing. But the price difference between the Vulture (5 million ish) to the next fighter, Fer De Lance (56 million) is like 50 million, would take me year in normal play, so I made 22 million trading in the ASP, then got a type 7. I now have a 22 million ship in assets and 22 million in cash, so a few hours today should get me my next ship, a bit of a loadout and insurance. It is just a means to an end, A few days work to save a few months of grind.

Didn't help earlier when I alt tabbed out to read the steam forums only to forget and hear my ship fly into and get stuck on one of the D20 stations rigging and blow up which cost me 3 mill of cargo and 1.2 million insurance. Put me back a few hours. That is the danger of trading, getting bored and trying to read forums while you play. It is the space equivalent of texting while driving.
                        Last edited by totally Not Cartoon Head; 10-08-15, 07:21.

Comment

• You are right Dayve, trading is addictive. I bought a Fer De Lance, didn't like it, went back to trading. Bought a Python and kitted it out for trading as it carries 100 or so more units than the T7 and has good guns encase you get jumped. got to like 76 million and decided to kit it for combat, hated using it to bounty hunt, to slow is like trying to aim at speed boats in a canal barge, so kitted it back for trading as I love watching my balance just go up and up and bought another cheap vulture for when I fancy fighting.

I was also a bad bad boy too, I was feeling cuntish so I interdicted a player in a type 7. He said hello just before I turned him into dust. I felt bad after thinking he may have been flying without insurance and I may have reset his game and many hours back to 1000 creds and a sidewinder... then I laughed again.

Comment

• Not something I would ever do but okay.

Comment

• Does make you wonder whether they will introduce some sort of system whereby gankers get permanent bounties placed on their heads.

Comment

• Planetary landings are coming in a huge expansion around Christmas time. Woo! You'll be able to scan planets for traces of wrecked ships then land, send out surface probes and salvage them for cash.

Only moons, ice worlds and rocky worlds (and rocky ice worlds) will be landable though, and some will require a permit to land, though they'll be expanding that eventually. I guess that's because they'd have to build very detailed models for habited planets, cities and whatnot. It'll be seamless as well - no loading screens.

Comment

Working...
                                X