No announcement yet.

Paradox 'map games'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never knew about any lucky stats. I just followed one of the recommended nations. I went Spain cause France are cunts and the Middle east looked like a confusing cluster fuck. Maybe i could try them on my second turn since I now have a better understanding of the game. Or I was thinking an isolated country like the Native Americans or something and try to build up the Nation and try to defend against the fucking Europeans and stop the USA from forming.

Comment

Originally posted by totally Not Cartoon Head View Post
      Never knew about any lucky stats. I just followed one of the recommended nations. I went Spain cause France are cunts and the Middle east looked like a confusing cluster fuck. Maybe i could try them on my second turn since I now have a better understanding of the game. Or I was thinking an isolated country like the Native Americans or something and try to build up the Nation and try to defend against the fucking Europeans and stop the USA from forming.
      All countries were arseholes in 1444 man, not just France. Some countries still are!

You can play as the native Americans if you want but you won't be able to resist the Europeans when they come. You could have 100 unit armies fighting against 6 unit European armies and you still won't win - they're simply too superior.

Another thing though, are you making sure your armies are composed properly? If I remember right, in the early game, you should have 1 cavalry regiment for every 3 infantry regiments. So 12 infantry 4 cavalry, 21 infantry 7 cavalry, 30 infantry 10 cavalry, and so on. When you reach cannon technology you keep the same composition but add a few cannons to the army. But later, it changed drastically, especially when you get to musket infantry armies. When you get to that I think it's something like 1 cavalry regiment per 10 infantry regiments.

Or maybe in the early game it's 50/50? 1 cavalry regiment per 1 infantry regiment, half and half. I honestly can't remember, but you really have to find out because it's VERY important to compose your armies correctly, otherwise you put yourself at a fucking massive disadvantage in combat.

Also it's not a bad idea to take a military idea as your first national idea. Like offensive/defensive or maybe aristocracy. I like to take aristocracy as my first idea because it's kind of roleplayey, in 1444 aristocracy were very powerful, but also with aristocracy the first idea in that group gives your cavalry a large bonus in their combat abilities, so they become well stronger. You need to take all this in to consideration dude, otherwise you just end up losing every battle you fight. Terrain can also be a killer in this game. I've beaten armies 3 times my size because I defended in a province full of mountains with a good defensive general.

If you don't read about this stuff and learn it you'll get frustrated and lose every battle. It's what happened to me when I first started playing - I was losing battles even when I outnumbered the enemy 3 to 1 and it almost made me uninstall the game out of frustration. It's because I was using too much (or not enough) cavalry in my armies, using the wrong types of commanders for battles (defensive where I should've been using offensive), taking stupid national ideas (or taking all economy and neglecting my military) and so on. Once you get it right it all falls in to place and you can compete with your neighbours properly.

Oh and if you want to play as Wales there's nothing stopping you. Just start as England and release Wales as a vassal country (giving them all of Wales + any other counties they have a historic claim to, like Cornwall) then tick the box where it says "play as released nation" and you'll be playing as Wales. I would release everybody else as vassals first though, otherwise England will rape you as soon as the truce period wears off. I think England can release Northumberland as a vassal state as well as Meath in Ireland, and maybe one or two others. Just make England as weak as possible before releasing Wales basically otherwise you'll have an impossible time surviving.
      Last edited by Dayve; 26-05-15, 15:27.

Comment

I think i will read about army composition. I just got owned as Ottomans by Venice.... fucking Venice. This was early on, they beat my army (I think both sides had like 18 units) but for some reason when routed my army fled across the water at Istanbul but I couldn't get them back once morale was up because Venice fucked my navy over. A bit stupid that troops can magically walk over a body of water when retreating but need a boat to get back. So I just ditched that gave straight off. May give Spain another go cause I managed to do well up until I started over expending into America and based my armies there and left just an auxillary force on my mainland. (Locals kept fucking over my colonies so had to send armies there).

So aside from sending diplomats to improve relations any other tips on keeping France sweet? Cause after a point your diplomat stops working and it won't let me arrange royal wedding. Wondering what else is feasible for making allies. I tried everything to make an ally out of Aragon but they just didn't want to know. Not going to bother with the Portuguese again (fucking cowardly kebab men).

Also, when you build markets and docks and stuff, is that only important for areas around trade nodes? Or does your trade flow through them automatically? Not sure if it is like Total War where everything goes into a pool or if you have to transfer trade from every province.
        Last edited by totally Not Cartoon Head; 26-05-15, 16:52.

Comment

I think i will read about army composition. I just got owned as Ottomans by Venice.... fucking Venice. This was early on, they beat my army (I think both sides had like 18 units) but for some reason when routed my army fled across the water at Istanbul but I couldn't get them back once morale was up because Venice fucked my navy over. A bit stupid that troops can magically walk over a body of water when retreating but need a boat to get back. So I just ditched that gave straight off. May give Spain another go cause I managed to do well up until I started over expending into America and based my armies there and left just an auxillary force on my mainland. (Locals kept fucking over my colonies so had to send armies there).

So aside from sending diplomats to improve relations any other tips on keeping France sweet? Cause after a point your diplomat stops working and it won't let me arrange royal wedding. Wondering what else is feasible for making allies. I tried everything to make an ally out of Aragon but they just didn't want to know. Not going to bother with the Portuguese again (fucking cowardly kebab men).

Also, when you build markets and docks and stuff, is that only important for areas around trade nodes? Or does your trade flow through them automatically? Not sure if it is like Total War where everything goes into a pool or if you have to transfer trade from every province.
          Don't ask me about trade - I never got the hang of it. I basically just ignored trade.

When you were playing as the Ottomans your army retreated over the little sea next to Constantinople (it's not Istanbul, I don't care what people say, it's Constantinople damnit) but there are other reasons they might not have been able to get back across. If Byzantium still owned Constantinople and you didn't have military access with them then that could be why. If Venice blockaded the strait (put their navy there) then it would be blocked to you.

You should've done the opposite with your colonies in the Americas - a small force to defend the colonies and your main force in Europe. You can beat those local savages when ridiculous odds are against you on account of how poor their technology is.

For getting friendly with France, leave your diplomat improving relations all the time, even when he's maxed it out. Try to make a royal wedding with them, give them a bit of a money gift (or a big one depending on how rich you are), try to get a full alliance. You can increase your relations further by making their enemies your enemies. In the diplomacy screen each nation can pick 3 rivals. Check who France has rivalled (it will most likely be England, Burgundy and either Austria or Iberia) and rival them as well. If they have rivalled you then you can quit the game and start again and see if they rivalled you again, just keep doing it until they don't make you a rival as this gives you a massive diplomatic penalty.

Don't bother trying to be friends with Aragon - you're natural historical rivals. Some nations have this penalty no matter what. France and England are historical rivals so they have it. Castille and Aragon are historical rivals. Ottomans and Byzantium are historical rivals. Any nations who had massive wars between each other in history are historical rivals in this game. But some are also historical friends. Portugal and England are historical friends, Ottomans and the Algerian dudes are historical friends, and many others.

Comment

I see, so do actual historic events happen in the game very time? Or just random events? Like if I do a little research and know a war is coming and have time to prepare for it.

Comment

I see, so do actual historic events happen in the game very time? Or just random events? Like if I do a little research and know a war is coming and have time to prepare for it.
              Sort of. The historical events are all in there, but they'll only happen if other historic pre-requisits are met. Like the Castille-Aragon union I mentioned earlier, the pre-requisite is that the date has to be somewhere between (for example, this is not precise) 1460 and 1500 AND Castille has to have a king and Aragon has to have a queen (or vice versa).

Here are a few others I know for a fact are in:

France/Austria absorbing Burgundy. In history the king of Burgundy died in a battle (got cleaved in half I think) and France and Austria divvied up their lands between them. In the game this can happen at any time (unless the player is Burgundy), the only pre-requisite is that the Burgundian monarch dies without an heir. Obviously France and Austria have to exist at this time as well. When it happens, whichever one of France and Austria has the highest prestige gets all the land. For free. They literally just get it.

The Austro-Hungarian union. I'm not sure what the pre-requisits are (something to do with Hungary having a weak claim monarch + a royal marriage with Austria) and Austria and Hungary become a union. If the union holds for 50 years (a union holds if the major partner keeps prestige above 0 at all times) then they become one.

There are absolutely loads of these all over the world, I only know a handful of the most well-known ones. There are also other ways to nudge AI (and player) controlled nations down a historically accurate path. They do it with missions. You know in the mission tab you can select a national mission from a pool of missions? They can be simple ones like "get 100+ relations with The Pope" or "Royal Marriage with such and sucha body". Well, occasionally one of these choices will be a historical event, and if the AI chooses it it fires. The AI chooses them at random but they do have a higher chance of choosing the historical ones than the random crappy ones. For example in 1456 the Ottomans wiped out the Byzantines once and for all (bastards), so from the very start of the game the Ottomans will be able to choose a mission called "City of the world's desire". If they choose this mission they are given free strong claims on all remaining Byzantine land.

England gets a similar one against Scotland a few years after 1444 called "vassalize Scotland - they're a nuisance and they're always allying themselves with our enemy France" and if you take it you get a blanket claim on all Scottish land. It's a very useful one for taking out all of Scotland in one go - just make sure you use your navy to stop the French landing armies in England. Portugal and Castille get ones to discover and colonize the new world, Russia gets one to take all of Novgorod in one go (which they did, that was the point in history where they became a huge and powerful nation).

They're not freebies - once they take the mission they have to actually fight and win the war, and if they don't succeed in a timely fashion then the mission disappears. It's just a way of nudging everybody down a historical path. It's one of my favourite things about EUIV.

Comment

Is there a way you can trade regions with allies?

I have turned Castille into Spain and absorbed all of Aragorn, allied with France and want to annex Portugal next, but when I invaded Granada France somehow got 2 of its regions and I want them, but do not want to tackle France in combat. But I do have some of their provinces too (and some of Italy for some reason also).

Also what is the point in colonising the new world is after a year or 2 your colonies turn into Spanish Caribbean or whatever? You have no control over anything there you may as well let England just colonise everything and wait for France to kick their ass and create the USA.

Comment

I think trading/selling regions with allies is coming in the next expansion/patch (it'll be in the free patch even if you don't buy the expansion). It's something people have wanted since the game came out and Paradox are finally putting it in.

You may want to keep that land you have in France, Italy and anywhere else though. For historical reasons if nothing else. Have you ever seen a map of the Spanish empire in Europe? It was actually quite impressive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spanish_Empire_around_1580.png
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	9266

That's around 1580 and everything in green and light green is Spanish property. Their empire in America was even more enormous.

I think the point of colonizing is basically just money and control of trade. You may not have direct control over those colonies but you are the motherland for them, you own them and they give you most of their money and trade power.

Comment

Ahh thats good then cause I have most of south America, on my way to colonising Miami and am working my way up from Panama on that side. Since allying with France the game has been a sinch since they join most wars and pretty much win them for you. I am still struggling with the naval side of things though with most of my ships protecting trade. My max allowance keeps growing and is something like 196 ships I am allowed and I have like 30. Portugal are fuckers though, they ask for royal marriage, military access and alliance, then the fuckers insult me. They aint fucking having Gibraltar, neither are the English, I would sooner give it to the Muslims then let them fuckers have it. Also I always thought Leon was in France, proof games can be educational. I have learned more of history from this game than I ever did in school (who only ever skimmed over the Romans then spent 3 years on WWII. Our History teacher was also out R.E. teacher so was very selective in what history he taught. Asked him about dinosaurs being around millions of years before man and he flipped his shit, proof nepotism shouldn't be allowed in schools).

On the subject of these type of games, has anyone played Arms Dealer? Currently on HumbleBundle at 50% off, and not sure if it is like a modern version of EUIV (obviously different country, but funding the Taliban or IRA sounds like fun). https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p...ler_storefront
                    Last edited by totally Not Cartoon Head; 01-06-15, 10:02.

Comment

You know you only use light ships to protect trade routes don't you? There's 4 types - heavy, light, galley and transport. They can be upgraded as the game goes on, so a galley will be called a brig or whatever when you upgrade it to the cannon version, but it's still just those 4 classes - heavy, lighter, even lighter and transport.

It's the light ones you use to protect trade. All the others add literally no value to your trade if you use them to patrol your routes. You can still assign them to that duty along with your trade ships, they'll protect the trade ships in case of combat, but they don't do anything for trade.

If you really like this game then when you've finished with Spain (look at it as your tutorial) you should give a micro-nation a try. A republic like Holland or something. You maintain a tiny amount of land all through the game, expanding only a tiny bit, but you end up being ridiculously rich and basically controlling the world through economic shenanigans, trade and using your ridiculous wealth to hire mercenaries. To get immense income from a tiny empire you play with the economic national ideas and snag one or two key provinces to get some power in that trade zone, then you steer that trade to your capital. Holland did that historically. The only empire they had was Holland, a single province in India and a single province in south America. With political, trade and economic shenanigans they ended up being pretty much the wealthiest (and one of the most powerful) countries in the world.

That's how little tiny Dutch micro nations ended up owning companies like Shell oil and the India Trading Company (which pretty much supplied the entire planet with its tea/coffee/sugar and slaves).

Comment

Yeah, I knew about the light ships protecting trade, is there an optimal number or just keep slinging them on. No matter what I do with my navy, as soon as a war stars I lose all my ships and get blockaded. I built up like 40 heavy ships, 30 light ships, 20 galleys and lost them all pretty much without knowing about it. It happens all so fast and I can never keep track of ships as they just seem to teleport about the map all the time.

Anyway, I was thinking i was doing well, sitting pretty with France as an ally then they started a war with Austri and we both got fucked. I have no idea, combat just seems to fuck you over no matter what you do. I upgraded my troops had a decent layout and even on home soil with forts get my ass handed to me when I have like 30k army and some French attached to like 10k army of Austrians. It just seems no rhyme or reason to it. They lose like 2 units I lose like 6 then my mens morale is rad and they run half way across the country away. Like I can handle the smaller guys, but Austria just seemed to have an unlimited army who were constantly growing like they had no troop number cap taking over me and France. Luckily the French surrendered and I never lost any provinces but damn when you are capped to how big your amry can be you are always at a disadvantage to the AI.

Comment

Actually there is an optimal number of trade ships, I just forgot what it is. 21 is coming to mind but that could be for something else.

You're not always at a disadvantage to the AI, it just seems that way sometimes. France probably has more military technology that you. They also have a national idea specific to them that gives their armies 20% morale (or is it 20% discipline?). This is why they're well known and feared as the most dangerous nation in EUIV. Only Prussia (which has to form itself by conquering a certain specific land first, doesn't start formed like France does) can match them in military might. Prussia has INSANE military bonuses. If they take military ideas on top of that they can steamroll the fucking planet.

See the history of Prussia to understand why. They were some serious badasses.

Comment

Yeah, I suppose it didn't help I only just picked a military idea, the first to big blocks I picked exploration as I was in a race to get across the Atlantic cause in my first game by the time I got there it was full of English and Portuguese . So my military is probably under developed by a fair bit. Luckily I only lost units so my income is unaffected and they can be rebuilt quite easy. Expansion is going great in the USA (almost have all of Florida now), although I have a feeling the English are trying to pick a fight.

Comment

Yeah, I suppose it didn't help I only just picked a military idea, the first to big blocks I picked exploration as I was in a race to get across the Atlantic cause in my first game by the time I got there it was full of English and Portuguese . So my military is probably under developed by a fair bit. Luckily I only lost units so my income is unaffected and they can be rebuilt quite easy. Expansion is going great in the USA (almost have all of Florida now), although I have a feeling the English are trying to pick a fight.
                              That's pretty much exactly how it happened in history. Spain went all in on conquering America because of the wealth it brought them, their economy collapsed because they were shipping so much gold and silver back home that they made it worthless (they actually built entire churches out of gold, not a single bit of stone in them except the foundations), they became best friends with France and their conquering in America was going so smoothly they began to neglect their military (the thinking was why change what works?) and England started picking fights with them because they were jealous of their wealth and huge empire. In fact Britain only began creating an empire because they were jealous of Spain, and France only started building an empire because they didn't want to be outdone by the British.

For an example of how bad the Spanish military got, there's a story that gunpowder shortages became so bad that they trained their troops how to load a musket but they never actually fired them because they just didn't have the gunpowder, so when it came to battle and they finally fired their rifles the noise and smoke scared them so much that they ran away in panic. Ran from their own gunfire lol.

Not taking a military idea as your first is fine - I never did, but you really need to take one as your second because you just fall behind badly otherwise.

Comment

Yeah, I picked it as my third, will keep the game going as all it not totally lost... yet. Will just try to avoid war as long as possible and built up a maximum unit size navy of heavy ships to try and fuck England over. Loving the game now though considering my history with these type of games. I re downloaded CK 2 to give it another bash too considering I understand the basics a little more now

Comment

Working...
                                X