Final Fantasy 14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Fantasy 14

it has just passed 5 million players, it really says a lot from a game that was that bad it had to be closed down and have the game remade, but to get 5 million users it really shows they worked to actually change the game for the better and it really is quite an achievement that they can still grow while keeping the subscription model.

I've actually been really enjoying it, the story is quite good and while some of the big story events do pull you into a phased area, it still keeps the story going while holding a much more persistent world than the likes of SWTOR could, as instead of going out of the main world for the majority of missions it only pulls you out for set pieces.

I'll give it a try... but which one do I buy? On STEAM there's "Final Fantasy 14" for £9.99, then there's "Final Fantasy 14 Online" for £29.99, which apparently includes something called Heavensward.

Which do I buy? I r confuze.

Edit - I fucking hate STEAM, seriously. I started downloading the free trial, set it to "Do not pause downloads when playing a game" and started playing Oblivion while I wait for it to download. Oblivion crashed (as it does when you have 250 mods installed) and I noticed the FF14 download had been paused (even though I told STEAM not to pause downloads when playing games). So I unpaused the download, made sure it was set to not pause downloads while in-game, then went back in to Oblivion. An hour later I save Oblivion and quit, only to see my download is still on 1% because STEAM paused it the moment I started Oblivion.

Why is STEAM so shit? Why does it do things I tell it to not do? Why does it think it knows what I want better than I do?

Why?
    Last edited by Dayve; 23-08-15, 13:50.

Comment

heavesnward is the expansion, it doesn't really start till level 50 and even then there is a load of level 50 content to get through before you start on the expansion content, so if you just want to try it you may as well just got for the cheaper version, the only problem is if you do buy from steam and enjoy it, you have to buy every expansion from steam from that point on. (for some reason the steam version is locked down like a console version)

but really if you don't get the expansion the only thing you will be locked out from is, the dragon people race, levelling over 50 and the 3 new classes added with the expansion but again you need to get into the expansion content before you can even train to be those classes. so really if you just want to try it just go for the base game and decide on the expansion down the road. but if you choose to go the other route greenman has it for a tenner as well and a 20% off voucher code on the site.

Comment

I'll just try the 14-day trial for now. I doubt I'll play it for any length of time or buy it - I've never been able to get in to another MMO since WoW, not properly anyway. I played WoW for 16 hours a day for about 3 years (then on and off for a year as I struggled to come to terms with the fact that I didn't like the direction they took it in after WotLK). Then I played Lord of the Rings Online for quite a while, as well as EVE Online, but got bored of them quite quickly as neither were a patch on what WoW used to be.

So really, unless this manages to somehow be better than original and Burning Crusade WoW, which is basically impossible as it was the best game ever, I doubt I'll be buying.

Comment

Is there monthly sub?

Comment

Originally posted by totally Not Cartoon Head View Post
            Is there monthly sub?

did you even read what I put?

Comment

I did yesterday, but came back and read daves response. Kinda forgot what you said.

Guess I will skip then, subscription games really have no place in todays industry.

Comment

I did yesterday, but came back and read daves response. Kinda forgot what you said.

Guess I will skip then, subscription games really have no place in todays industry.

millions would disagree it seems.

Comment

Subscription games are gamer friendly. Non-subscription games can be annoying as they often put limits on you to make you get your wallet out (though some do manage to be decent about it, like GW2, even if it is boring as shit). Non-subscription F2P games are outright cash grabs. It's those that have no place in modern (or past, or future) gaming industry.

With subscription games you know exactly where you stand. You pay the subscription because an MMORPG needs to maintain servers to store the data of millions of users and keep the game running. Servers ain't free. For that subscription you get the entire game with nothing held back from you behind a paywall. No bullshit about having to buy an auction house pass to use the auction house, no bullshit about having to buy bag slots to put bags in empty bag slots, no bullshit about needing to be a premium member to advance past level 20.

I'll take subscription games over "F2P" games any day. Unless they also have a cash shop which sells items that give you an advantage over everybody else, in which case they can open my "clothes that need to be washed" basket, dig right down to the bottom, find a pair of boxers and rub the part that holds your balls in place all over their face.

Comment

yeah top me most games die when they go F2P, it just encourages stealth gouging, pay to win and people being total cock heads as they have nothing to lose when they get banned.

Comment

so what you think of it so far dayve?

Comment

5 million eh, I reckon that's pretty bogus, but none the less i'll have to give it a go at some point when I find the time. Still enjoying WOW for the time being though, I'm making so much gold I'm like a chinese man.

Comment

Not a bad game this. Played it for 5 hours today so it must be good (I usually can't play a game for more than an hour at a time these days unless it's particularly good). I'd play more but was up at 6 this morning and it's now just after 12 at night so I cant keep my eyes open. I'm glad I can eventually turn my Gladiator in to a tank - I'm always a tank or healer in MMO's, it feels like an actual important part of the team and you need to know what you're doing or else everyone dies, unlike DPS where you just stand at the back mashing the most damaging combo out.

I love the music as well, keeps taking me back to the good old days when I was playing FF7 and 8 and 9.

The only thing I'm struggling with is how gay my character looks. I got to level 5 and got some gear that is meant for Gladiators... you know, warriors... and it literally looked like a prom dress. But then I did a quest for the Gladiator's Guild and got some actual armour, made of metal. Still looks slightly gay, like the kind of armour two gay men who are in to history might wear for an erotic bumming session, but at least it's not full gay like the prom dress I was wearing before it.

I need to look like a proper knight in MMO's if I'm playing a warrior class. I need dirty armour that looks like it smells of sweat and horse shit. Like you get in Skyrim. I NEED IT!

Will play more in the morning.

Comment

haha an erotic bumming session! hahaha

Comment

Yeah that was my problem with the armour, playing a light armoured class my char in the early levels alternated between OK armour and stripper.

Comment

Working...
                              X