The Long Dark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Long Dark

Any of you ever played this? I'm gonna write a review for it at some point. It's really good. I've had it for about a year now, I bought it very shortly after it came out (early access) but it's one of those early access games that is actually being worked on and improved all the time. It just had a big patch in the last few days which was about half a gigabyte that added all sorts of items and new features to the game and balanced out a lot of the old stuff.

It's a survival game without zombies. You're the sole survivor of a plane crash in the freezing Canadian wilderness where only animals live, and most of them want to kill you and eat you. Apart from the animals there are 5 things you need to worry about - cold, hunger, thirst, fatigue and the general condition of your body. If you let yourself get starving, dehydrated, freezing or knackered then your condition starts to drop from 100% to 0%, at which point you die. So you have to find food, make water (by melting and boiling snow), maintain your clothes with bits of cloth to repair them and whatnot and sleep when you get tired, preferably at night because that's when it gets absolutely freezing and being outside = death.

You find stuff all over the place in the little cabins and ice fishing huts and hunting lodges (which are all abandoned because it's the dead of winter) and you can make a base somewhere and hoard them all up. You can make a bow and find a rifle, but you never have much ammo for it so it's really just for emergency situations. You find first aid supplies, but again they run out eventually. You find matches to build fires (you have to have tinder to get one started and you have to collect wood to burn) and on the fire you can cook animal meat (if you can kill one), melt snow and boil it and all that crap. If you find a tin of soup you have to have either a knife or a tin opener to open it, otherwise you have to smash it open and end up losing half the soup. You can get hypothermia, sprained wrists and ankles, infections and all that.

It's a really good survival game! And none of you have it!

I really want this but missed the steam sale for it, and I'm too tight to pay top whack given I get so little time to play.

I read some of the reviews on steam during the sale and a few were mentioning some kind of 'story mode' or something similar - do you know what that's about?

Comment

Originally posted by Tartrazine View Post
      I really want this but missed the steam sale for it, and I'm too tight to pay top whack given I get so little time to play.

I read some of the reviews on steam during the sale and a few were mentioning some kind of 'story mode' or something similar - do you know what that's about?
      Story mode isn't in yet, they're still perfecting the sandbox mode (where you begin in a random location and try to survive for as long as possible). The story mode will be the actual story of the guy (or girl if you choose) surviving the plane crash, survivng for a while and eventually being rescued. I'd honestly say it's worth every penny of the full price though. I'm on 38 hours now, which is great for a game where you essentially just walk around, find stuff and try to not die.

Comment

I have it on my wish list, but I went for "Savage Land" instead during the sale, which I will review when I get around to dedicating a bit more time to it.

Comment

Scary shit when you get stuck in a blizzard, can't see more than one foot in front of you, there's only 3 hours of daylight left, you left your sleeping bag (which has been repaired 20 times and is basically just a load of random patches of cloth stitched together) at your base and the only food you have is a tin opener.

I slept in a cave once and a bear ate me. I noticed a couple of piles of bones in there when I went in but I thought a deer had died or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Dayve View Post
            I'm on 38 hours now.
            Yeah, do you see my problem?

*edit* fuck steam sales, just bought it from g2a for 8 squid
            Last edited by Tartrazine; 08-08-15, 10:10.

Comment

my problem with survival games is that they a just too random, you can play everything perfectly and fail while someone playing shit could walk it all due to the way random events are triggered.

it's why I hate most games that rely on random luck (including the likes of hearthstone, people like to pretend there is some great strategy component but it's entirely RNG for what comes out of the deck) as if you get either extreme you either have a game that is so easy it's pointless playing or a game that is pretty much impossible to play.

then don't even get me started on the online survival games as they basically just encourage everyone to be a dick to each other.

Comment

But it's a survival game - everything is random in real life survival situations too. You can wake up to a nice clear sunny day and decide "Hey, nice day, let's walk in that direction where I saw some deer and try to shoot one" and after 30 minutes of walking... blizzard, can't find your way back because there's no visibility, freeze to death, bear food.

Comment

but it's not like real life as the random way it works doesn't make sense, also the systems in place that deal with food, drink, energy and heat are generally poorly done to create extra challenge to try to limit the times when you can get one of the good runs and still give some form of challenge, but then it totally gimps the game when you get a bad run making the game impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Belimawr View Post
                    but it's not like real life as the random way it works doesn't make sense, also the systems in place that deal with food, drink, energy and heat are generally poorly done to create extra challenge to try to limit the times when you can get one of the good runs and still give some form of challenge, but then it totally gimps the game when you get a bad run making the game impossible.
                    Loot is very plentiful in this game though. I looted one map today (there are three maps, more coming) and found 2 rifles, 28 rounds (1 shot is one kill, unless you miss or it's a bear), enough food to feed an army, several axes, knives, crowbars, sewing kits, toolboxes and lots of scrap metal (all those are used to make/repair/salvage vital things) and I found enough wood from just one building on the map (the hydro dam - notorious for epic amounts of loot and a really grumpy wolf named Fluffy inside who'll eat your face) to keep a fire going for months and months without ever going out.

And that's AFTER they reduced the amount of loot in game in the latest big patch. The challenge with this was getting it all to your base (I tried to do it quickly and ended up freezing to death inside a train in a blizzard). But I think it's quite well done to be honest. Your calorie counter goes down to 0 and you become starving, but you won't die for a while, being starving just makes your condition drop slowly until it gets to 0 when you die. Same for thirst. You can become exhausted due to lack of sleep, but it doesn't kill you, it just means you can't run and I think it also makes you more likely to sprain your limbs when climbing hills and shit. The biggest enemies are the cold and wolves and bears.

What I'm saying is there's not really such a thing as a bad run. No matter which map you start on there's going to be a lot of loot around you, and you start with some basic clothes and a sleeping bag and matches anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X