Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regarding the writing of articles for the main page...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding the writing of articles for the main page...

I can write one every day, it's not like I'm a busy guy. The only trouble is I'm not sure which are the best sites to get news from. I could go to PC Gamer and see what they're writing and write about that, but what's the point? We could just go and read what PC Gamer is writing.

This is what I struggle with. Where do I get gaming news from?

Best bet is stuff direct from publishers or even if you want to cover news from other gaming sites you can put your own opinions and report it the way you think it should have been, also even getting news from other sites it consolidates it and not all sites are as fast as each other its why the news on gaming sites can often be followed across the sites, with a few like ign and pcgamesn giving credit to the original source.

Comment

You could also write your views (call them a review) on stuff that you actually play, like EUIV, Total war, Crusader Kings. You never know, it might lead to a paying job in the industry (so long as you are willing to abandon your ethics).
      Seriously, most of the stuff I write takes two hours tops, four if you include the pre-thought that occurs before I actually attempt to put the thing to script.
      And I don't even get any hate for it.

Comment

ban this sick filth is actually doing quite well on google for clicks.

but really a lot of the game stuff brings in clicks and page views and the more people who come by the site and the higher I can get it on Google, the more chance there is of the community expanding, a lot of stuff on here is already coming up in the first page or 2 of search results now, the biggest problem is I'm fighting firms who pay a fortune to have other people do all the search stuff.

but I really need to get an about page done, also mess with the highlighting on google so it gives better results.

Comment

Just contact the publishers directly and ask to be put on their mailing list. Some will ask for links to stuff (especially for early access or review copies), but usually it's as simple as 'I'm writing for this site, can I be added to the mailing lists".

I get pretty much all my Inffo (and a lot of my games) direct from the publishers nowadays.

Comment

hmmm wonder if that would work better from my pcgamesc email.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatula View Post
              Just contact the publishers directly and ask to be put on their mailing list. Some will ask for links to stuff (especially for early access or review copies), but usually it's as simple as 'I'm writing for this site, can I be added to the mailing lists".

I get pretty much all my Inffo (and a lot of my games) direct from the publishers nowadays.
              I think I'll do that actually.

Comment

Sorry, fighting off an epic depression attack. Hardly been out of bed for a week. Will get to it. Blame my family's faulty genes. We're all either paranoid schizophrenic or chronic depression.

Comment

Pfft, .My family is Irish, and I haven't ever stolen lead piping or fixed a game of chance.
                  Rise above.

Comment

It's easy saying rise above it. Depression is depression. One day you're happy (or as happy as a negative cynical person like me can be) and the next day all you want to do is lock yourself up somewhere and not see or be seen by anybody because it's all pointless and you're gonna die soon anyway so why bother? It affects people different. Some people turn in to megalomaniacs and become ultra focused on whatever it is they do and annoy everybody around them and some people lock themselves away from the world until it goes away. I do the second one. I've seen psychiatrists for it on and off for the last 10 years and have come to the conclusion that those fuckers cause more problems than they solve. They'll spend an hour asking you questions and writing your answers down, nod and say "yes that's the standard depression, very common", then write you a prescription for prozac or some other mind bending drug. Those mind bending drugs... like... bend your mind, dude. I've never met anybody who said they worked at all. Prozac gave me massive heart palpitations, the most awesome paranoia you've ever seen and I couldn't get an erection for about a month. Fuck prozac.

And anyway how do you know you aren't stealing led piping and telling bogus fortunes in your sleep? What about copper piping? I'm not even Irish but my local town hall - which has been closed and derelict for the last decade since the council shut it down - has an enormous amount of copper on top of its steeple. It's high up - high enough that you'd surely die if you fell, but I've made several plans to steal it. Don't pretend you don't want to steal some copper Jack. It's a 2-man job at least, if you're interested.

There's a police station right across the road but don't worry because:

1. I've accounted for this in the plans and
                    2. Someone was running a weed farm in the building literally next door for 5 years and they had no idea until a member of the public noticed the smell

So I'm not exactly confident in their policing abilities.

Comment

Working...
                    X