If your on Firefox update it now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your on Firefox update it now

if your still one of the few using re branded Netscape because you miss the days when we were inundated with AOL discs, there has been a serious vulnerability found and utilised that allows a Russian advert to use the PDF and Java support in Firefox to access every file on your PC and upload it all to a server in Ukraine, so since this has been found in one advert you can be pretty sure other people will be using it as well.

so yeah if you use Netscape make sure you have the latest version or your files are are 100% vulnerable just from visiting a web site.

Why would a Russian advert be uploading to the Ukraine?

Comment

no clue, but the advert appears to be Russian but it sends the files to a server in the Ukraine, it's a misdirection so they can both blame each other, while the Americans have everyone's data.

Comment

If they can do it on one browser they can do it on all.

Comment

not true, it relies on how modules in the software interact with each other, sure all can have vulnerabilities, but this is the first that has gave full access to everything on your PC, so it is worth letting people know.

Comment

What do the Russians propose to do with my files in Ukraine? Steal my debit card details? They'd better do it on a Monday, because by Tuesday there's fuck all left in it.

Comment

well if ya since firefox defaults to an auto-update setting most folks are kept up to date.
              i did a manual check and i have latest.
              and its not that i like the days of AOL discs...it is just that since netscape 1.0 i have not been able to find a browser that is worthy of my patronage.

haters gotta hate i guess

Comment

but the way it loads pictures and web pages is just backwards, it can still only load in blocks while pretty much everyone has moved away from that, hell even MS moved away from it, MS would actually have decent browsers if they put the effort in for third party code like Google does. but then there is a reason chrome runs circles round Firefox at pretty much everything, it is faster and has way more support for web standards, also it is updated that often it is updated before another browser can even get a review out claiming to take the top spot.

but then it shouldn't be a surprise as Google basically is the internet.

Comment

The new MS browser is pretty decent if truth be told. Thinking about switching from Chrome (which I find to be as secure as Katie Hopkins lips)

Comment

if i could do the thing i can do with FF i might switch but as yet i havent seen a web borwser that lets me do the things i can do with FF

Comment

Originally posted by totally Not Cartoon Head View Post
                      The new MS browser is pretty decent if truth be told. Thinking about switching from Chrome (which I find to be as secure as Katie Hopkins lips)
                      the new MS browser is terrible, it barely even covers half the web protocols meaning it's web support for HTML 5 is terrible and since that is the future of the web it is actually a really bad misstep missing well over 200 (half) of the function (chrome is about 15-20 short and FF is about 40-50 short)

unclecid there is nothing you can do on FF that you can't do on chrome, all the same addons are there and Chrome has more support for HTML5 and other functions as well as being faster, it's why in pretty much every metric (other than reviews done by MS) Chrome comes out on top, I think there is one test where FF can beat Chrome and the difference is marginal at best.

Comment

Firefox is great. Used it for years, never had a problem. Never get popups with the adblock addon either. Good shit.

Comment

the adblock addon in chrome is exactly the same one as in Firefox, this is the point the only real difference is level of support and performance that chrome comes out on top of.

also dayve didn't work so well for you when you lost all your book marks..............

Comment

Certain streaming companies are pulling their streaming from chrome. WWE videos will not play on Chrome also sky catch up/sky go will not play on chrome either.

Comment

I use skygo on chrome all the time, the only time I've ever had a problem with skygo was it doesn't work on rooted android devices.

but then the entire problem comes from silverlight (likely the same for WWE) you can re enable it fairly easily but the fact is Google discontinued basic support for the Microsoft API because it had more security flaws than Flash and that really says a lot, so really the problem is with Chrome supplying an extra level of protection for users while Sky (not the most tech savvy company about) wants to keep using an insecure and outated method of streaming videos instead of keeping with the times and moving to HTML5 like pretty much every other service on the internet.

so it's not a problem with Chrome, the option is there just in more advanced options, but it is ultimately there to stop insecure programs running under chrome, hell it's the reason they upgraded youtube and all their sites to HTML5 over Flash as it was way more secure and reliable and ultimately it is the future of the internet. the reason FF keeps the outdated ability to run silverlight is because the entire browser is outdated, MS only does it because it is their proprietary system so they have to stand by it no matter what.

so yeah chrome not supporting inefficient, insecure third party plugins would be a plus to me and not a negative, the big problem is companies holding on to outdated software, Google already forced people drop support for IE6 as it was holding the internet back, no doubt they will get silverlight to become obsolete, they have already pretty much destroyed flash as a must have plugin, with it only being used by adverts and old sites now.

hell don't believe this, look at netflix, when they moved from silverlight to HTML5 they reduced the system resources required by two thirds, so really holding onto outdated tech such as silverlight is just costing people bandwidth and system resources.

Comment

Working...
                              X