Handy household moneysaving hints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handy household moneysaving hints

Whilst I sat around at home on sick leave last year I got bored and started to pick through my monthly outgoings, I was shocked at how much I was wasting every month simply by not keeping an eye on things. Even if you save a couple of quid a month that's £24 a year, it soon adds up.

Tongue in cheek post title aside, these are some of the things I did / have done since I realised how lax I was being -

Switched power supplier to ovo, saved about £300 a year, will switch again when I see a better offer.

switched house insurance from Santander at £120 a month to Tesco at £40 - that's £880 squid a year saved for the same cover! I found out about this watching a tv program where someone complained that insurance companies routinely upped the premium every year figuring that you won't notice - I certainly hadn't.

changed pet insurance from £50 a month to £23

I've got some british gas home cover thingy that means they come round and fix any electrical / plumbing / drainage / heating problems. Phoned them up and moaned about the price and got £15 a month off. £180 a year saved for 10 minutes on the phone.

Switched to talk talk for phone / fibre. For less than I was paying BT for those I also get the TV plus package with free box. If it's any good I'll upgrade the TV package for £10 a month and get rid of sky. All in all that's about £40 a month saved - £480 a year. You also get a completely free sim card as part of the deal with 100 minutes a month on.

3 of my kids phones up for renewal, checked switching sites (uswitch mobile is good) for the cheapest deals then argued the toss with carphone warehouse until they agreed to match - took a few calls mind. Went from £25 a month with £90 per phone upfront cost to 21.99 and the phone free. That's for twice the minutes they get now (they don't use them all anyway so no great gain there).

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure there are others.

It sounds really naïve but it just hadn't occurred to me before that the other side of the smiling adverts, cheerful call centre staff and the colourful branding is a company that simply wants your money. If they could think of a legal way of taking it straight out of your pocket without having to provide you with anything they'd do it in an instant. Fuckers.

Treat them the same way I say - shop around and force them to cut each others throats..

There are plenty of websites that give you hundreds of tips on how to save money both directly and indirectly (indirectly would be tips on how to keep food fresh for longer, such as freezing milk or yoghurts which can be done because I do it a lot). Two of the most massive changes I made were:

Switching from Virgin Media TV, phone and broadband (around £120 a month, not including any calls made, so usually came to around £150-200 a month because I live with 3 women and they're always on the bastard phone) to BT phone and broadband with no TV package, we just bought a freeview box. This one costs £33 a month, but usually about £50 with phone calls. So that saves us £150 a month straight away. The best part about this was that for about 6 years Virgin Media kept telling us, when we tried to cancel it, that you can't have Virgin Media phone + broadband on its own, you HAVE to have the TV package as well. Then when I had BT ordered and I called Virgin to cancel, they said "if you'd like to stay with us we could reduce your bill by removing the TV package so you just have phone and broadband". I told them I've been asking for this for about 6 years and they said that wasn't possible, so you can eat my ring piece.

The other was switching gas and electricity from pay as you go to a monthly payment plan. On pay as you go it was costing about £40 a week in summer and around £70 a week in winter when you need the heating on all the time. When I switched to monthly fixed payments it just costs me £27 a week whether it's summer or winter, and I end up getting a rebate of about £100 once a year.

Comment

I got a check of £380 from the tax man today. Woop. Benefits of being part of the precariat ^.^

Comment

I often get money back from the tax man, but that is because I was changing my job every few months.

Comment

I sold my car and walk everywhere. Saves me a fucking fortune, plus I don't get all worked up at being stuck in traffic or women drivers. But to be honest, apart from walking the dog and taking my daughter to school, I don't even leave the house.

Comment

I hate cars. If I didn't need one for work, I wouldn't bother with them.

Comment

see not having my car pisses me off more, if you have to walk places you have to put up with a bunch of wankers, traffic and weather. if you decide to take public transport you have loads of waiting around, sitting in traffic, taking the longest route humanly possible while stopping every 2 minutes, then you have to sit next to wankers and weirdos assuming you can get a seat and don't have to pay for the privilege of standing in a moving vehicle. so yeah fuck losing the car.

as for money saving was costing me £195 in road tax and about £50 a week in petrol for my 1.8 95BHP Vectra, changed to a 2 litre 160BHP diesel insignia now it costs me £110 in road tax and £20 a week in Diesel (and there is a price war on it at the moment so it's getting cheaper still more miles and cost less than petrol it's win win) also it's about £50 a year cheaper insurance, so thats a saving of £1695 a year with a newer more powerful car, don't you just love when the system doesn't work fairly?

as for money saving tips, if you use good cheap take outs it is actually cheaper to eat take out than it is to buy stuff, cook it and clean up after you ate. (takeout always comes in handy boxes you can just throw out when your done)

Comment

I generally prefer to walk (I consider anything lower than 3 miles walking distance) and only really use the car for distances of ten miles or over.
                And that's because I have gotten lazy, I used to be quite happy cycling ten miles.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRabbit View Post
                  I generally prefer to walk (I consider anything lower than 3 miles walking distance) and only really use the car for distances of ten miles or over.
                  And that's because I have gotten lazy, I used to be quite happy cycling ten miles.
                  I consider anything less than 10 miles walking distance. Clearly I am the superior man. Why just today I walked 8 miles on a treadmill with full elevation.

COMPARE YOUR LIFE TO MINE AND THEN... well... then just carry on with whatever it is you do I suppose.

Comment

over here unless you live in a large urban environ you really need to have a car.
                    but then from what i see most everyone in the UK lives in urban areas or villages.
                    you all dont seem to have sprawling suburbs like we do.
                    but then again we do have alotta space.....

Comment

Working...
                    X