Greecians are fucking idiots.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greecians are fucking idiots.

Yep, that's all I've got. Fucking morons.

Hope the ECB holds their line and forces them out.

In fairness, the best thing for Greece is to be kicked out of the Eurozone.
    This NO vote brings that closer to reality.
    It's not like Turkey will invade again is it.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRabbit View Post
      In fairness, the best thing for Greece is to be kicked out of the Eurozone.
      This NO vote brings that closer to reality.
      It's not like Turkey will invade again is it.
      Plus Greece leaving makes it less likely that Turkey will join. That can only be a good thing.

Comment

Yeah, but even if they leave an return to the drachma, they're still best-case looking at massive devaluation of their currency, leading to huge inflation in costs. Worst case their banks go under, the country goes bankrupt and they're left surviving on handouts.

Also, if they do leave, they STILL owe the euro zone that money- so you'd be looking at massive asset seizure.

As for the Eurozone, they cannot afford to let Greece off the hook, given the precarious state of the economies of jogger member states (coughspaincough). Frankly, they may end up making an example of Greece, and even more frankly, they deserve it.

Comment

I'm glad it's a no vote. Though a part of that is admittedly because I get to see what happens.

I've spent years now listening to Greece being personified, like it's an actual person. Some dodgy bloke who's ripped people off and now is crying because his pocket money has been stopped. 'Greece' did this 'Greece' did that.

It's not a single person though, is it? It's a population of millions who were just trying to live their lives and raise their children and who now find themselves facing decades of poverty. A population who understood and controlled the actions of their government about as much as we do ours.

There is something SERIOUSLY fucking wrong with the system we live under. A system which can be brought to it's knees by a financial crisis which even now none of us really understand, for which not a single person has been held to account, and which we all are being held financially responsible for - how much per family are we reckoned to owe now because of it? I don't recall borrowing that money do you?

So they had a vote - yes means you and probably your children are going to live in a financial wasteland. No means that maybe, maybe, there'll be another way. A no vote will make it worse you say? If I'm on the breadline with an economy shrunk by %25 and no job or hope of one, how much worse can it can get? I'll guess they voted to find out, I know I would.

Hobsons fucking choice I believe they call it. So who's the idiot?

Comment

Originally posted by Tartrazine View Post
            I'm glad it's a no vote. Though a part of that is admittedly because I get to see what happens.

I've spent years now listening to Greece being personified, like it's an actual person. Some dodgy bloke who's ripped people off and now is crying because his pocket money has been stopped. 'Greece' did this 'Greece' did that.

It's not a single person though, is it? It's a population of millions who were just trying to live their lives and raise their children and who now find themselves facing decades of poverty. A population who understood and controlled the actions of their government about as much as we do ours.

There is something SERIOUSLY fucking wrong with the system we live under. A system which can be brought to it's knees by a financial crisis which even now none of us really understand, for which not a single person has been held to account, and which we all are being held financially responsible for - how much per family are we reckoned to owe now because of it? I don't recall borrowing that money do you?

So they had a vote - yes means you and probably your children are going to live in a financial wasteland. No means that maybe, maybe, there'll be another way. A no vote will make it worse you say? If I'm on the breadline with an economy shrunk by %25 and no job or hope of one, how much worse can it can get? I'll guess they voted to find out, I know I would.

Hobsons fucking choice I believe they call it. So who's the idiot?
            But their lack of (and refusal to implement) a proper taxation system and the riots whenever they tried to implement any money saving tings (like less pension, higher pension age, less wages for civil servants, etc) the whole country broke in to a murderous riot and a Nazi Party formed and started persecuting minorities.

They really did do it to themselves. They're like a chav on the dole who lied and got a credit card with a 6 grand limit, blew it all on cider and designer trackie bottoms to impress his chav princess, then punches the debt collectors and sets fire to the hard working Pakistani family next door.

Comment

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Obviously Mr and Mrs Stavross spent their days laughing at the rest of the world and slapping each other on the back celebrating how they fooled Europe and conned them out of money, 'cos of course all of the greek people were in on it - surprising that out of the millions involved in the planning they all managed to keep it a secret.

Stavross himself falsified his wage slips and his wife altered the household bills so they could hand them over to the European council as evidence-now they're getting their just desserts I say.

And of course we question things like the tax system in the country we grow up in, rather than accept that that is the way the world is since that's all we know. We don't just accept what's around us as normality however ridiculous it might seem to those who didn't grow up with it = after all that's why we don't have a fucking monarchy.

I'm not having a dig at you Dayve but I suspect you're going to get a taste of what it must be like to be the average Greek soon. Unless you've got a job you haven't mentioned, or an independent source of income, the government is currently planning how to fuck you and anyone else drawing a benefit up the arse to pay off a deficit you had no direct control over running up.

Comment

That's exactly what I'm talking about. 'their'

Obviously Mr and Mrs Stavross spent their days laughing at the rest of the world and slapping each other on the back celebrating how they fooled Europe and conned them out of money, 'cos of course all of the greek people were in on it - surprising that out of the millions involved in the planning they all managed to keep it a secret.

Stavross himself falsified his wage slips and his wife altered the household bills so they could hand them over to the European council as evidence-now they're getting their just desserts I say.

And of course we question things like the tax system in the country we grow up in, rather than accept that that is the way the world is since that's all we know. We don't just accept what's around us as normality however ridiculous it might seem to those who didn't grow up with it = after all that's why we don't have a fucking monarchy.

I'm not having a dig at you Dayve but I suspect you're going to get a taste of what it must be like to be the average Greek soon. Unless you've got a job you haven't mentioned, or an independent source of income, the government is currently planning how to fuck you and anyone else drawing a benefit up the arse to pay off a deficit you had no direct control over running up.

Comment

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I'm not sure the government is interested in the measly £80 a week they pay me to save them £50,000 to £200,000 a year by keeping an old person out of a state-run care home. But they can happily have it back if they want. They can have my £80 a week and pay £150,000 a year to look after my nan in a care home.

Comment

Funnily enough, nothing announced as yet but as the BBC understands it (as per 'leaked' documents reported on by several papers at the time) under consideration is -

Carer's Allowance - this could be restricted to those eligible for Universal Credit. Leaked documents suggest about 40% of claimants would lose out. DWP predicted saving - £1bn
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32084722

Cos as far as the government appears to be concerned you and others like you are just using your grans as an excuse not to work. And £80 is probably just what you're given to spend, they're totting up what it actually costs to keep a roof over your head and provide everything carers aren't contributing to - from the police force to street cleaners.

Unless the typical gran requires constant care throughout the day - everything from getting dressed, going to the khazi and actually eating - then she won't get a care home either. She'll get someone popping in for an hour or two a day.

I don't want to get dragged off in a discussion about carers anyway, the point was meant to be that the average citizen ends up being punished for something they had no real control over.
                    Last edited by Tartrazine; 06-07-15, 12:46.

Comment

the fact is greece has protested every attempt that has been made to get them out of debt, to a level where the government has had to give up on the actions that could fix the problem, so really the people are to blame as if they had used foresight they would have seen this coming and went with measures to stop this happening instead of having mass protests every time preventative measures were proposed. so really it is one of the few cases where it is more the peoples fault than the governments, as the government tried to take preventative measures but got shot down.

also funny you used the name stavros as I know one who when he went back to greece to get his wife got arrested for half a million in debts due to a business he had and did a bunk from when he came to the UK.

Comment

Funnily enough, nothing announced as yet but as the BBC understands it (as per 'leaked' documents reported on by several papers at the time) under consideration is -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32084722

Cos as far as the government appears to be concerned you and others like you are just using your grans as an excuse not to work. And £80 is probably just what you're given to spend, they're totting up what it actually costs to keep a roof over your head and provide everything carers aren't contributing to - from the police force to street cleaners.

Unless the typical gran requires constant care throughout the day - everything from getting dressed, going to the khazi and actually eating - then she won't get a care home either. She'll get someone popping in for an hour or two a day.

I don't want to get dragged off in a discussion about carers anyway, the point was meant to be that the average citizen ends up being punished for something they had no real control over.
                        Well like I said they can have it. I don't do it because I don't want to work, I do it because I love my nan and she'd rather have me popping in there to cook and clean and sit with her than a foreigner who doesn't care about her one bit. But yeah, happily they can shove it up their arses. I've got good enough references to get a job, no criminal record and the government will be paying me £60 a week on the dole until I find one, which might take a while seeing as they've raped the north of all its industry for the last 50 years. So I'll live comfortably on that £60 a week for years if necessary until I get a job and it won't cost them a penny less than it does now because they'll still be paying my rent, council tax and everything else.

Unless they intend to do away with jobseekers allowance as well, in which case they'd best get building some new jails because I'll be needing a cell in one when I start taking my food from supermarkets. How much per year does a prisoner cost again?
                        Last edited by Dayve; 06-07-15, 14:02.

Comment

Yeah, bel has hit the nail on the head. Every time their government tried to implement ANYTHING that could help reduce the deficit or start a sensible taxation policy, they got shot down by massive strikes and protests/riots. Granted, you cannot blame e whole population, and further, the previous governments had a huge part in this, but fuck me, the Greek people have a huge say in it.

I'm really really interestd to see which way the Eurozone go- let Greece fail and take the hit on the currency, or bail them out and open the door to all the other countries who don't feel like paying off their debt....

Comment

What would be interesting, though I cannot see it happening, is if the entire country just upped sticks and moved to Germany.
                            You know, freedom of movement and all that.

Comment

see I bet Germany would be happy with the Euro taking a hit, they rely heavily on export the lower the value of their currency the cheaper than can be in comparison to competitors. France would probably like it as more people would go channel hopping to get cheap booze, fags and other and the english would like it as it would put the £ back stronger so we could import from Europe cheaper.

so really letting them fail and damaging the Euro actually helps the big 3 on a roundabout way, not a single country would admit this tho. but the Germans who rely heavy on export probably would like the Euro back on an even footing with the $.

Comment

Working...
                              X